Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Sewing through finger >

Sewing through finger

Sewing through finger

Old 11-13-2014, 04:42 AM

Default Sewing through finger

This time it wasn't me but several have posted having done this recently. I received this link in my email this morning showing just how dangerous this can be and how to avoid sewing our fingers to the material.

http://theinboxjaunt.com/2014/11/13/...ely-an-update/
Old 11-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

​It was an especially bad sewing accident and I thought she might have some lingering symptoms. Hopefully it will improve over time.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

YIKES, knock on wood, I have never done THAT nor cut myself with a rotary cutter. Being disable, I now use my 28MM rotary cutter.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:01 AM

I have sewn a finger more than once. Luckily the needle did not break into the finger and I managed to miss the bones. I give thanks to wearing acrylic nails for that.
One time, shortly after piercing a finger, I went to the doctor for my regular visit. I told him of my little accident, he examined my finger and said it was healing very well. Then he asked me "When was your last tetnus shot?" Then he explained that the possibility of getting cut with the rotary cutter and pierced by non conventional methods, keeping the tetnus shot up to date is very important.
So, be sure to keep your shots up to date.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:34 PM

I have been lucky after doing this 3 times - always thru the fleshy part, thank goodness. I know try very hard to use my stilettos or purple thang now. One of those times with the LA (did it once ); I'm still not sure how I did that one. I did get my tetanus shot. I now say I am one with those 3 machines .

I've done the rotary cutter once with the regular Olfa cutter and that was enough after the stitches. I am very careful now.

One way I try to avoid both problems is to try not to work on anything when I am very tired .
Old 11-14-2014, 12:49 PM

I did this years ago when I was in college. Had a date and needed a new skirt. Then I did cleansing and a Ban-aide and off on my date ! That was almost 60 yeas ago and I have not done that again....
Old 11-14-2014, 04:06 PM

I would have sewn through my finger but had very thick acrylic nails and the nail broke but it did save my finger! I have twice cut through my finger with the blade from my food processor -- recently on Monday for the second time, and I imagine that's what the rotary blade feels like.

I got tired of trying to keep a bandage dry and on, so I used super glue to close it, and that worked great!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Twice with the rotary. First cut day after I bought it and was working in the salon at that time. First client of course was a perm. Nothing but chemical processes all day. Thank God for gloves. 2n time 2 weeks later with someone else's rotary cutter. Then I noticed it was rusty. Off to drs office for a booster. My friend's rotary cutter so close to her birthday so I bought her new blades and pitched her other ones. My glove is always right near my rotary cutter. In face I stick my rotary cutter in my glove. I have a fileting glove for fisherman.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:44 AM

Yeah, been there, done that with the rotary cutter. I had just bought a new one after my old one bit the dust! The blades are extremely sharp and it had me well and truly cut before I knew it. Strangely enough, I really didn't feel it right at first. My finger is still mostly numb in that particular area of the finger, but I promise you, I sure watch where my fingers are before I move the rotary cutter!
Jeanette
Old 11-15-2014, 08:01 AM

Thank you Roberta for starting this thread. I'm a newbie and the idea of sewing through my finger hadn't occurred to me. My machine does not have an on/off switch and my fingers are often near the needle when threading, changing bobbins, cleaning out lint etc. So I've plugged my machine into an outlet with an on/off switch. Now I am very careful to keep my machine off (essentially unplugged) unless I'm actually sewing. You may have saved my finger!