Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Shocker - Old Country Store Closing >

Shocker - Old Country Store Closing

Shocker - Old Country Store Closing

Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM

Question Shocker - Old Country Store Closing

Many of you probably received the same email I did this morning announcing the sudden closing of Old Country Store Fabrics in Intercourse, PA. It's been one of my favorite shops for years and this is truly sad news. Anyone have any idea what happened? They have a ton of inventory but the email didn't say anything about new owners. RIP Old Country Store Fabrics.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 AM

I checked their website, and see the ordering "carts" are disabled. I really hate to hear this. I like ordering from them.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 AM

I went on their facebook page and in one of the comment sections it gave "one" explanation. Not sure if it was true, so don't want to carry the tale here. (Not sure of the rules here.) Maybe they will give the true answer in a day or two.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:08 PM

I am so sorry to see them go, they were great both in person and thru the website. It must be something really bad to close so suddenly.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:11 PM
ro
Banned

i was totally shocked to hear about the shop closing. something devistating must have happened.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM

That was one of my favorite stops when I was shopping in that area! I was shocked to hear of the sudden closing - and what will they do with the inventory? One could only hope that it will be purchased by a person who have an absolute love of fabric and quilting!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
ro
Banned

[h=5]this is what i read: by Kim Del Rance
[/h][h=5]Good Enterprises, the owner,has told employees they are laid off as of tomorrow and he said he doesn't even have enough to PAY them for the past 2 weeks of work! The LEAST he can do is PAY his employees who already did their JOBS! There is more to this story, but those who are hard working honest workers are being taken advantage of by the very fact they believe their boss is not responsible for his own actions. If the economy took the toll on his business then why is he getting reviews for a broadway play he wrote instead of taking better care of the workers who built his business.
[/h]Nancy Mattison
I say we all get together and show this guy what a few quilting needles can do. Seriously, this is very sad. Had to be mismanagement. I sure will miss it! Perhaps a better person will buy it and reopen. I hope. My prayers are with the employees

Susan Edelman
how can this place not be turning a profit? everytime I go its full of shoppers - and it's an icon for quilting tour groups, I've met (and waited in line behind!) quilters from Australia, Scandinavia, Canada, etc

doesnt sound good to me.
Like · · December 8 at 9:42pm
Old 12-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Seems like we have multiple threads here on the same subject. One of the threads linked a local newspaper article stating that the publishing business that the same owners have is the loss leader for the bankruptcy...not the quilt shop. Apparently the owners have faced similar adversity in the past and come out on the other side. Let's hope that is the case for the quilt shop as well. Love their store; prices are great; inventory/selection is awesome. Have only shopped their brick & mortar but do so several times a year so this will be a great loss for me as well. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
ro
Banned

here is a link w/some info
http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...uidation-.html
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM

So sad, enjoyed going to their store.