Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
So you want to sell a quilt >

So you want to sell a quilt

So you want to sell a quilt

Old 11-22-2014, 03:26 AM

That was a great article. Then there are those who think, well, when I'm at my regular day job I make $/hr. That's skilled labor. I should be making that same amount. My time is worth that much. Boy oh boy. No one would want to purchase a quilt from me ever! Few would be able to afford it.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:54 AM

Thank you Sandygirl! It's well worth reading!!
Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Thank you, Sandy. I kept track of labor and material costs to construct a couple of quilts, then stopped keeping track. After making a few without calculating material and time, I decided that I really like to know how long it takes to construct the quilts I make, so I devised spreadsheets to keep track.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:29 AM

OOOOh I get so angry when some one wants to buy one of my quilts and I give them the price and they say oh that is too much. I can buy one at such and such store for $35 . Not like one of mine they cant. Just one piece of fabric may cost that much.!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:40 PM

Thanks Sandy for posting your comments and wise words! I wish you the best and continue on!! Marilyn
Old 11-22-2014, 04:52 PM

That is a supper article and I am keeping it to refer to since people ask all of the time and now I have the information to share. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:39 AM

It reminded me of a conversation with a gentleman who worked on leather. He made a beautiful leather handbag (purse) for his wife - a true one of a kind and asked a few people if they thought it was good enough to sell. Everyone agreed it was beautiful on every level - then the conversation about how to price it. Very hard to do - the best way I could put it to him was that it was a beautiful item that I could admire but probably never afford, however, there is a client base to aim at - it would be those who would have the kind of income that would not bat an eyelid. That he wasn't to take the fact that some of us wouldn't buy it as an indication we didn't like it rather we simply found it outside our budget and that's ok too.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
That was a great article. Then there are those who think, well, when I'm at my regular day job I make $/hr. That's skilled labor. I should be making that same amount. My time is worth that much. Boy oh boy. No one would want to purchase a quilt from me ever! Few would be able to afford it.
I'm one of those who say well I make $/hr at my regular job, and if I wanted extra money I could work overtime! I would never like the pressure of making a quilt for someone paying. I am still upset about a quilt I made for a friend of my husband, I didn't expect payment for the thing as I did it as a gift, but what I did expect was a THANK YOU note! Was that too much to expect.

I loved the article - reinforces what I tell those that want me to make them a quilt - "you would not want to pay what I would charge"
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 AM

I do sell my quilts. I usually get an appraisal first as "proof" of what they are worth even if it is not attainable! Usually between $900 and $1200 but with a consignment fee the most I have received is $750. Still not bad especially since I am looking to replace the materials. It is all my choice as far as price, size and pattern with no custom work so no pressure either. That is the way I like it and it is a very subjective/personal choice.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:17 PM

I do not sell my quilts, I think it is hard for people that do not quilt to see the cost of materials, time, etc... that is put into making one. Besides that I enjoy quilting and if it was something I had to do it would become a job something I don't want to have.