Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
For those of you who have trouble getting starch locally... >

For those of you who have trouble getting starch locally...

For those of you who have trouble getting starch locally...

Old 02-14-2014, 11:31 AM

Lightbulb For those of you who have trouble getting starch locally...

I ran across this while doing some research and remembered that some of our Canadian members had said they had trouble finding spray starch in their local markets. Now they can stop paying high shipping charges by making their own. I am going to shift to homemade as soon as my bottle of liquid starch is empty. I did make some up to check it, and it worked great. Enjoy.

http://pinkyhasabrain.com/homemade-c...starch-recipe/
Old 02-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Looks promising. Let us know how it works. In already make my own powdered laundry soap so this might work for me too.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:04 PM

I like this idea also but would be worried about attracting bugs if fabric is stored for any length of time.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

​Homemade starch works well but doesn't store well. I make about that size of a batch and can usually use it up before it starts to go bad.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM

This might read as stupid but I guess you have to wash this out of a quilt once it is finished, is that correct?
Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
This might read as stupid but I guess you have to wash this out of a quilt once it is finished, is that correct?
I wash all quilts before gifting, (to be sure there are no boo boos) and don't starch until I am working with a fabric, simply because I am way too bug phobic to chance them being attracted to the starch anyway.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Thank you so much as I am one of those Canadians who can't seem to find liquid starch in Canada. I get my DD and friend to bring it back from the States every time they go. I love Niagara non aerosol spray starch and wish they would sell it in Canada (are you listening Walmart and Target?) but I will try making my own.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
Thank you so much as I am one of those Canadians who can't seem to find liquid starch in Canada. I get my DD and friend to bring it back from the States every time they go. I love Niagara non aerosol spray starch and wish they would sell it in Canada (are you listening Walmart and Target?) but I will try making my own.
Believe it or not, if you dial 1(800) WALMART, and tell them it is not sold anywhere else in town, they just might start stocking it.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 AM

Order Best Press from JoAnn's by the gallon....on sale sometimes! Wonderful for quilting!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 AM

Just a footnote to this post.............to my knowledge, the U.S.will not SHIP aerosol cans across the border. I have tried different companies in the past & this is what I was always told. As for not being able to get starch here in Canada, I have no trouble getting it here at Walmart & a few other sources including Best Press at our Fabricland (VERY PRICEY) though. I live in Northern Ontario in a city of only 45, 000 people so I don't quite understand how bigger centres don't seem to carry it. Even my local grocery store carries spray starch in aerosol cans.