Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Pin Bastiing? Best Alternative

I just can't stand pin basting quilts and learned this technique from Libby Lehman who uses 505 to spray baste even her largest quilts. This is now my preferred method since crawling around on the floor is just not fun. Anyway, yesterday I noticed a free video at The Quilt Show which demos the method and answers a lot of questions about the method including how it works with various battings, etc. Thought you might like to check it out.

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/2566

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    I just can't stand pin basting quilts and learned this technique from Libby Lehman who uses 505 to spray baste even her largest quilts. This is now my preferred method since crawling around on the floor is just not fun. Anyway, yesterday I noticed a free video at The Quilt Show which demos the method and answers a lot of questions about the method including how it works with various battings, etc. Thought you might like to check it out.

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/2566
    Thanks for posting.
    I'd seen the earlier one but I'm glad to see this one too.
    I'm going to start spray basting all my quilts this way after I finish quilting this one in progress.
    My knees just can't take crawling around on the floor anymore.
    I'm not sure what I'll do with my 100's of large safty pins though... :?:
    I've already begun buying cans of 505 spray and now have 3 of the 8oz ones. I think they have a larger can too but I can't find it locally.

Sewforless.com has the 17oz can of 505 on sale for $13.49. Needless to say I ordered 2 cans yesterday and got confirmation this morning that it has been shipped!. I call that fast service!!

Ditter

Thanks for the link - I think I'll give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Sewforless.com has the 17oz can of 505 on sale for $13.49. Needless to say I ordered 2 cans yesterday and got confirmation this morning that it has been shipped!. I call that fast service!!Ditter
    Wow that's not too much more than I paid for each of my small cans. I'm upset.
    Can you tell me what they charged you for s&h?

I've been wanting to try spray basting but I'm slow to get the actual quilting finished. How long does it last? If I put my project aside for a few months (or years-LOL) will the spray basting still hold?

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I've been wanting to try spray basting but I'm slow to get the actual quilting finished. How long does it last? If I put my project aside for a few months (or years-LOL) will the spray basting still hold?
    The video in the link in the first post says 505 has lasted (for her) for a few years.

Thanks for the video website. This is a method I've been wanting to try. The video makes it much clearer. Appreciate your taking the time to post this.
    Yvonne

loved this video, thankyou for sharing it with us.

i've got a question, how do you store a spray basted quilt? will it squirm around if you roll it up and be bubbly or uneven? thanks for sharing the video. oh, what kind of fm foot was that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast