Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Treadle for 199 dollars..but.....

Treadle for 199 dollars..but.....

I seen this ad this morning for a treadle. The guy wants $199.00 for it. It's a beauty, the cabinet is beautiful.
    He says it sews great.
    ................BUT..........if you notice the last picture..........

you will see otherwise!

http://bend.craigslist.org/atq/3398203937.html

How can it sew with such a major imperfection? Wouldn't the vibration throw the machine off?
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I would be a bit worried about that...but maybe someone could weld it (from the bottom side so it doesn't show) and it would sew fine then.

Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
    I would be a bit worried about that...but maybe someone could weld it (from the bottom side so it doesn't show) and it would sew fine then.

I think the stand is cast iron. I don't know if that can be welded.

It is a beauty though.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I wouldn't buy it for that price. You can always buy the broken part on Ebay, but I don't think it would be an easy fix since it's such a large piece of the treadle. Pretty RedEye tho.

Blog Entries
    It's very complicated to weld cast iron. It will become very brittle. I would pass or offer a much lower price if I wanted the hassle of a repair. You'd have to tote the thing to a shop and back again if you find a welder that knows about cast iron.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    It's very complicated to weld cast iron. It will become very brittle. I would pass or offer a much lower price if I wanted the hassle of a repair. You'd have to tote the thing to a shop and back again if you find a welder that knows about cast iron.
    I am not going to buy it. I don't have the room....lol

Besides, we don't have any money left after building my new computer........LOL

It can be fixed but around here that's a high price for a treadle in good condition, let alone a red eye with soso decals and an important piece broken. Yes it will sew since the pitman arm is still there but I sure wouldn't want to put allot of pressure on the treadle since the main arm holding the treadle is broken

Blog Entries
    This item has been removed by the author.