Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Unique qult display, now and forever???? >

Unique qult display, now and forever????

Unique qult display, now and forever????

Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM

When my MIL died, she was cremated, and we have her ashes (long story) If you knew my house at the time, you would not think it's weird but at one point she was on top of the refrigerator. Then our refrigerator started doing strange things, and one of the kids thought it might blow up. Oh no! Grandma!
All I could think of was her ashes being blown all over the house and we were concerned that it would be nearly impossible to distinguish from all the dust that was there.

Grandma now holds a spot on the top of our tv hutch, in a room not used that often. We have her next to Sugar's ashes. Whenever Grandma came over, she'd lie on the couch with Sugar , it just seemed fitting, putting them together
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM

AMEN, Jan...Very thoughtfully put...

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
What a marvelous idea! Useful rather than wasteful. Cheaper rather than expensive. Ecological rather than affecting the earth forever. The body certainly won't care! So many people aren't aware that expensive funeral home caskets are often not required by law.

To me this isn't a "constant reminder" of impending death (hopefully many years out!) any more than my leather wingback recliner is a constant (negative connotation) reminder that I will be having shoulder replacement surgery soon and have to sleep in it for a while. Or that the ice scraper I have to keep moving in my car's console is a reminder that winter is coming sooner than I want it to.

Then again, I'm one who firmly believes that only I am responsible for the things I "think on"; that my brain doesn't just take over and worry about things like a dog with a new bone when I "remind" myself that only God is in control of my life.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

It would creep me out to see my coffin standing in room with me for years, but to those that can handle it, more power to you. Funerals are too expensive and regular coffins are way more elaborate than needed. Just a pine box is fine for me, too... after I'm gone.