Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Is "in the hoop" any faster?

  1. #1
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    I've never done an "in the hoop" project.
    Actually I've only seen a couple photos here and there of things that were done that way.
    Maybe there aren't alot of patterns available yet?
    But I'm just wondering is it really faster? easier? etc.
    I mean what is the advantage of it?

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,113
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't know about the blocks being faster, but they are more consistent for me LOL
    I like some of the in the hoop projects, finishing the edges is easy and looks nice too :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,219
    are you refering to in-the-hoop embroidery projects? i've done a few and while they do turn out nice i think they take longer. you do get a nice finish to most of them. I think they are nice for the people that have emb.machines but otherwise don't sew. i feel i'm faster just "doing"it.

  4. #4
    QazyQltr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom
    are you refering to in-the-hoop embroidery projects? i've done a few and while they do turn out nice i think they take longer. you do get a nice finish to most of them. I think they are nice for the people that have emb.machines but otherwise don't sew. i feel i'm faster just "doing"it.
    I agree that they take longer but they make a nice finished embroidery without having switching to sewing. :-)

  5. #5
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom
    are you refering to in-the-hoop embroidery projects?
    I assumed the projects I saw were a combination of sewing the item together and embroidering onto it during the construction process, all done in the hoop.
    I think I'd be faster just "doing it" too. But I've been curious ever since I first heard of it and wondered if I'm missing something slick, cool, or tricky about it? I don't want to be left behind :)

  6. #6
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,481
    Personally, I'm not thrilled with any of the in the hoop blocks available, so I've not tried it. And I think they're pricey per block. I do quite a bit of quilting embroidery desings in the hoop(not piecing) and love that. I enjoy piecing and paper piecing so I'm not sure it would be worth the effort for me to do piecing in the hoop.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DawnMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    844
    Blog Entries
    9
    I really like ITH stuff. I've done a few projects so far. Actually, my next feat is making a queen size quilt for my brother and his fiance for their wedding. I'm going to do all of the blocks ITH. I'm not sure as to if it will be faster or not, but my blocks will be super consistent and the points will turn out just as well as if they were paper pieced.
    That's my next "project."

  8. #8
    Super Member MommaDorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sully, Iowa
    Posts
    2,508
    Blog Entries
    2
    Can someone tell me what "in the hoop" means?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie
    I really like ITH stuff. I've done a few projects so far. Actually, my next feat is making a queen size quilt for my brother and his fiance for their wedding. I'm going to do all of the blocks ITH. I'm not sure as to if it will be faster or not, but my blocks will be super consistent and the points will turn out just as well as if they were paper pieced.
    That's my next "project."
    I'd love to see the finished quilt. I hope you post a pic

  10. #10
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    Can someone tell me what "in the hoop" means?
    Thanks!
    Your piecing is done using the embroidery machine and hooped fabric. It's sort of hi-tech foundation piecing. Still sounds slower to me although I can now understand someone using it if the points, etc are more exact. I don't think it's for me though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.