Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"To Prewash (fabric) or Not" that is my question (to you.) >

"To Prewash (fabric) or Not" that is my question (to you.)

"To Prewash (fabric) or Not" that is my question (to you.)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by gale
I don't prewash anymore because I buy some precuts like jelly rolls and layer cakes and those can't really be prewashed easily. I will sometimes wash though. For example I bought some yardage and then noticed the lady who cut it eating. My dd has severe food allergies so in order to reduce the risk of her having a reaction to the fabric somehow I will wash it.
Really?, someone was eating while they were cutting your fabric?? That's disgusting and very unprofessional. I know we all can't be 100% germ free, but that literally "takes the cake" in my mind.
Since we have to specifically watch out for that, I see it all the time. I was picking up a prescription for my daughter once and the people working in the pharmacy were eating candy bars. I brought it up and they didn't seem to think there was any problem with it. We buy our rabbit food at a certain feed store (only one that has it around here) and the cashier is almost always eating. I've seen people at Joann's have bags of chips or pretzels sitting behind the cutting desk and they reach in there in between cutting fabrics. This particular incident was at a quilt shop and they were eating chocolate covered peanuts (one of my dd's allergens) and they did offer me some (I didn't take it).
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 AM

I don't prewash. When I wash the completed quilt I use my regular liquid detergent. If it's going to be washed why use anything different. The new owner may not want to purchase a different soap just to wash the quilt. I have had no problems.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
when i pre=wash i use my regular laundry detergent- no fabric softener- i'm removing chemicals-don't want to add any-
the (quilt-soap) is called ORVIS i think it is actually a bar and you shave some off and add to the water. how ever it comes- it is supposed to only take a little and last a long time.
i have never looked into it- i figure if my detergent is good enough for my clothes, it's good enough for fabrics too.
This was mentioned in a thread awhile back, to use Orvus? (or is it spelled Orvis?). We use it for washing show cattle. It's gentle on the cattle's skin and with a few washing, the hair is nice and soft and shiny. Available at the farm supply and/or feed stores.

Here we buy it in small pails or tubs. If it's warm, it's very malleable. If it's ccccccold as sometimes it is at the wash racks, it solidifies some, though you can always just scoop some out with your hand and swish it in the pail of water.

So would think all would be the same if you were using it for your fabrics!!

For me .... just my regular laundry soap is used. HOT water and HOT dryer. The strategy being, abuse it now so you won't get any surprises later!!!! Plus it's pre-shrunk. Also, keep an eye on colour running and need for setting. If it can't stand this abuse, then I would re-think whether it should go into a quilt that I'm going to be putting hours into.

I know, many say not to do the hot/hot wash/dry, as you are going to wash gently later. However, what about the time where a quilt is accidentally dumped into hot water? .... I'd sooner take it thru those steps NOW, rather than a disappointment later.

Besides ... I know all the fabric in my stash is ready to go, when I take the urge! :)
Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by ckcowl
when i pre=wash i use my regular laundry detergent- no fabric softener- i'm removing chemicals-don't want to add any-
the (quilt-soap) is called ORVIS i think it is actually a bar and you shave some off and add to the water. how ever it comes- it is supposed to only take a little and last a long time.
i have never looked into it- i figure if my detergent is good enough for my clothes, it's good enough for fabrics too.
This was mentioned in a thread awhile back, to use Orvus? (or is it spelled Orvis?). We use it for washing show cattle. It's gentle on the cattle's skin and with a few washing, the hair is nice and soft and shiny. Available at the farm supply and/or feed stores.

Here we buy it in small pails or tubs. If it's warm, it's very malleable. If it's ccccccold as sometimes it is at the wash racks, it solidifies some, though you can always just scoop some out with your hand and swish it in the pail of water.

So would think all would be the same if you were using it for your fabrics!!

For me .... just my regular laundry soap is used. HOT water and HOT dryer. The strategy being, abuse it now so you won't get any surprises later!!!! Plus it's pre-shrunk. Also, keep an eye on colour running and need for setting. If it can't stand this abuse, then I would re-think whether it should go into a quilt that I'm going to be putting hours into.

I know, many say not to do the hot/hot wash/dry, as you are going to wash gently later. However, what about the time where a quilt is accidentally dumped into hot water? .... I'd sooner take it thru those steps NOW, rather than a disappointment later.

Besides ... I know all the fabric in my stash is ready to go, when I take the urge! :)
EXACTLY how I feel about washing fabrics before cutting them.