Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: "Dove in the Window" quilt

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dalton, MN
    Posts
    336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Have any of you done a quilt named this? I found the pattern and really like it. I am in the process of making it. The finished squares are 20". Each square is a window (of sorts). Am wondering if you do a border around each window or just butt them together. I am a long way from that point but would like to have some idea of what is ahead of me and if I should get more material.
    Thanks
    Rita

  2. #2
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    4,785
    Is this similar to yours only in a smaller size?
    http://www.sewquilty.com/History/0504.html

  3. #3
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,904
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have not done this, but it is a lovely pattern. Thank you for sharing.

  4. #4
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    34,018
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Is this similar to yours only in a smaller size?
    http://www.sewquilty.com/History/0504.html
    that's cute. i wasn't sure what dove in the window was

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dalton, MN
    Posts
    336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Is this similar to yours only in a smaller size?
    http://www.sewquilty.com/History/0504.html
    This IS the pattern I am following. But as you can see it is just one block. Then what?

  6. #6
    Super Member BKrenning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,552
    Which version are you making? I know of 3 different ones with that name. This is the one I have made: http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/b...bible_dove.htm

    I like the one that is sort of like a simplified Lone Star and have paper-pieced some that are similar to it. http://www.doveinthewindow.com/DITWquilt.htm

    The one that is most like Bear's Paw is probably the most common version and sounds like what you described. Here's a cute version of it: http://twelveby12.blogspot.com/2009/...in-window.html

    I would do a google image search for Dove Window Quilt and see what others have done and pick the one I liked best.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dalton, MN
    Posts
    336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Which version are you making? I know of 3 different ones with that name. This is the one I have made: http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/b...bible_dove.htm

    I like the one that is sort of like a simplified Lone Star and have paper-pieced some that are similar to it. http://www.doveinthewindow.com/DITWquilt.htm

    The one that is most like Bear's Paw is probably the most common version and sounds like what you described. Here's a cute version of it: http://twelveby12.blogspot.com/2009/...in-window.html

    I would do a google image search for Dove Window Quilt and see what others have done and pick the one I liked best.
    I am doing the Twelve by 12. I see the picture is just like a wall hanging. It does have a small binding. Thanks

  8. #8
    Senior Member cmw0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    953
    This might answer your question.

    http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/DoveI...dow/index.html

    It shows the block used two ways - one all Dove in the Window blocks and the other mixed with another block.

    But, bottom line, it appears that the blocks are butted together.

    Great pattern!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dalton, MN
    Posts
    336
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    This might answer your question.

    http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/DoveI...dow/index.html

    It shows the block used two ways - one all Dove in the Window blocks and the other mixed with another block.

    But, bottom line, it appears that the blocks are butted together.

    Great pattern!
    Thanks so much for the pattern. It is the one I am making. It is amazing how it looks when it is butted together. Hope mine looks as great. My center piece is larger flowers in shades of pink on a cream back ground with sage foliage. Then one part of the diagonal is a small print stripe with the same colors. Then the accent is a small print of light and dark sage. When I put my first block together I felt I was going crazy with the stripe but when I got it right, it is very interesting. Thanks again.
    Rita

  10. #10
    Senior Member cmw0829's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    953
    Glad it helped. Be sure to post your finished quilt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.