Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: "dusting" a quilt

Blog Entries
    I have several quilts that I made and have had at a flea market in my daughters booth..not selling but collecting dust and odors....Am bringing them home and need to sell them but I hate to loose that "new" quilt feeling..Any suggestions??? Thanks Cheryl

bj
    Can you just wet a fabric softener sheet and tumble them in the dryer for a few minutes?

dampen a wash cloth and throw it in the drier with the quilt and a fabric sheet for about 10 min. Works great just make sure the wash cloth isn't real wet.

I would put them in the dryer on fluff or air only setting (no heat) with a couple dryer sheets.

I have heard of antique quilts being vacumed, using a screen over the nozzle, and keeping it a bit away from the surface of the quilt. This would not remove any smells, however.

If it is just surface dust, you can vacumm with an upholstry brush. Then you could hang out to air out.

Blog Entries
    Maybe just put it in the dryer on the no heat cycle, that may air it out and it will get rid of the dust.
    I wouldn't put dryer sheets in with dry clothes, you could end up with oil stains on it... they are made to use with damp clothes :wink:

Blog Entries
    Great suggestions - the one quilt is almost queen/king size so it may not fit in dryer too well - I dont have one of those new fancy double /triple etc fancy dryers lol Just an old maytag lol I can try the vacuum method on it and then hang out to air - Hopefully none of our fine feathered friends will use it lol cheryl :D

Spray with Fabreeze and put in the dryer for 10 minutes or so. That's what I did recently to freshen up a quilt and it seemed to work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimito2
    I would put them in the dryer on fluff or air only setting (no heat) with a couple dryer sheets.
    I do this often. It works.