Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"temporary" mid/long arms? >

"temporary" mid/long arms?

"temporary" mid/long arms?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:28 AM

I have a spare bedroom that I use as a studio. Unfortunately, I have to share it with guests. Since ALL the relatives live out of town, this is fairly often. And I can't afford an addition yet!!

My question is, can ANY frame or setup be temporary? Can I have it set up, yet be able to fold it up to make room for the beds? AND is there one that can be adjusted to king size for the rare time that I need to do one? I can't fit the king frames in my studio, but I could put it in the living room for a week while I work. It just can't stay there.

I've been looking at the Grace frames/Juki combo. I'm just scared to jump into something.

Any advice????? Thank you so much!!

-Squeek
Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 AM

What about a HQ for a table top? Mine can got from 36" to 120". I don't take mine down but I can if I need to.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
What about a HQ for a table top? Mine can got from 36" to 120". I don't take mine down but I can if I need to.
What kind of Machine can I use with that? I have a Bernina. Would I, SHOULD I get a larger throat?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

I am using a Viking Mega Quilter (9") right now but will be getting a Babylock Crown Jewel (18"). I can use it on the HQ too.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM

The Bernina table can be set up at 5 ft or 10 ft it would not be easy to take apart and reassemble in each size, but it is possible. Bernina has updated the table so I have yet to assemble the latest model. But it looks very similar. It is a good quality table. My Gammill's offer no such option. Good luck in your search!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Before I upgraded to a true long arm, I had a B-line frame. The original one was not a stand alone, so was set up on a table. It would be a bit of work, but not hard to take up and put away. You can see them at www.tobequilting.com The product is very sturdy. Only thing I had to change were the poles. They may have replaced them with something more substantial not tho. I sold it to my friend who loves it. The smaller the throat, the smaller quilt area you will have. So, with a standard Bernina, you will start with only about 3 inches. As you roll up your completed quilt (that part goes thru the arm of the machine, you will lose more area. I started with a Juki and quickly upgraded to an HQ16.

you might think of looking for someplace you can rent long arm time. If you are not done, you can zip off your quilt, roll it up, and bring it back another day. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Buy a longarm and let the guests sleep on a mattress under it. LOL
Old 06-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Buy a longarm and let the guests sleep on a mattress under it. LOL
HAHAAH I LOVE that idea!! I bet my parents and inlaws would have a LOT to say about that, however!!

From what you all are telling me, it looks like I'm stuck muscling my quilts through Bernie until I can get rid of 2 kids. Since the oldest 2 are only 9 and 6, I have a LONG time to wait.

sigh
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM

I have a HQ 16. The table was made by a friend so that it straddles the daybed and a 2 drawer file cabinet in my 'studio.' The table could easily support a cow or two! It is that solid and it has locking wheels.

When company come I just wheel it to the other side of the room. That is where my sewing machine cabinet is ... so I put away my sewing machine anyway when company come.

After all, the company only sleep in that room.

ali
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM

If you are serious about long arm quilting, you will find your machine has no space once you roll the quilt a few times. I wished someone would have warned me before I got my frame & machine.