Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tips Page"

Additional Acronyms:

Quilting Site
    Judie Bellingham
    BellaOnline's Quilting Editor

Quilt Acronyms

An Acronym is a word formed from the initial letters of other words (e.g., radar, laser).

The language of quilters is quite interesting. Quilters have embraced the use of acronyms in a simply fabulous way, but the language can be somewhat confusing for non-quilters Ė like husbands and partners.

The first time I mentioned a fat quarter to my husband he said ďdarling donít talk about your body like that, I like cuddlyĒ. Hmmmm. Ever told a non quilter that you quilt in the ditch? They give you this sort of funny look and you can see theyíre thinking Ė she did what in the ditch?

Acronyms fly thick and fast in the vocabulary of a quilter and Iíve taken on the task of describing to the uninitiated, what some of those funny sounding acronyms really mean. This is just a smattering of acronyms (say that fast) that I have come up with. Thereís a lot more out there in webland Ė just Google Quilt Acronyms and be surprised!

Iíll start with the well known ones, that are simply WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get!).

FQ Fat Quarter (quilt fabric usually measuring approximately .5 yard by .5 yard)

SID Sitching in the Ditch (quilting right on the seam line)

UFO Unfinished Object. I sometimes wish my UFOís would be taken by Martians, never to be seen again!

WIP means work in progress and Iím guessing that we all have a lot of that.

The above acronmys are the simple acronyms that most quilters use regularly. Now Iím going to take you on a journey of discovery of acronyms that are used by the wider quilting community, and they are very clever, I think.

HSY Havenít Started Yet

PHD Project Half Done (does that makes my title, Judie Bellingham PHD.)

MGBTQ Must Get Back To Quilting

WIVSP Work in Very Slow Progress

TOAD Trashed Object Abandoned in Disgust

USO Unstarted Object

STASH Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden

SABLE Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy

FART Fabric Acquisition Road Trip ( I do that all the time!!)

TGIF Thank God Itís Friday is the usual acronym but quilters like Thank God Itís Finished.

WIWMI Wish It Would Make Itself

WWIT What Was I Thinking?

And finally WOMBAT Wast of Material, Batting and Time (This one is close to my Oz Heart!!).

As I said thatís just a small sample of the quilting acronyms out there.
    So Iíll say cheerio for now as I need to plan a FART and MGBTQ .

Found this while I was looking at other quilting sites. Most of them we already know, but there are some new ones as well.

Blog Entries
    Can anyone tell me what makes a good scrap quilt?

Blog Entries
    This is not technically a tip, but I noticed my rotary cutter was not cutting clean straight lines. I knew I had just put a new blade in, but I took it apart and found out that I had two blades in! Duh!

I would appreciate your tips. New to quilting and the quilting board. Need lots of advice. Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so, so, soooo much for the acronym dictionary! I am a newbie quilter and have spent a LOT of time on this site and am learning so much from all the wonderful users. However, I have been stymied a few times with the lingo, and this is REALLY going to save me! Awesome job! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Chubby Bunny, can you add these to your tip sheet please????

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Additional Acronyms:

Quilting Site
    Judie Bellingham
    BellaOnline's Quilting Editor

Quilt Acronyms

An Acronym is a word formed from the initial letters of other words (e.g., radar, laser).

The language of quilters is quite interesting. Quilters have embraced the use of acronyms in a simply fabulous way, but the language can be somewhat confusing for non-quilters Ė like husbands and partners.

The first time I mentioned a fat quarter to my husband he said ďdarling donít talk about your body like that, I like cuddlyĒ. Hmmmm. Ever told a non quilter that you quilt in the ditch? They give you this sort of funny look and you can see theyíre thinking Ė she did what in the ditch?

Acronyms fly thick and fast in the vocabulary of a quilter and Iíve taken on the task of describing to the uninitiated, what some of those funny sounding acronyms really mean. This is just a smattering of acronyms (say that fast) that I have come up with. Thereís a lot more out there in webland Ė just Google Quilt Acronyms and be surprised!

Iíll start with the well known ones, that are simply WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get!).

FQ Fat Quarter (quilt fabric usually measuring approximately .5 yard by .5 yard)

SID Sitching in the Ditch (quilting right on the seam line)

UFO Unfinished Object. I sometimes wish my UFOís would be taken by Martians, never to be seen again!

WIP means work in progress and Iím guessing that we all have a lot of that.

The above acronmys are the simple acronyms that most quilters use regularly. Now Iím going to take you on a journey of discovery of acronyms that are used by the wider quilting community, and they are very clever, I think.

HSY Havenít Started Yet

PHD Project Half Done (does that makes my title, Judie Bellingham PHD.)

MGBTQ Must Get Back To Quilting

WIVSP Work in Very Slow Progress

TOAD Trashed Object Abandoned in Disgust

USO Unstarted Object

STASH Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden

SABLE Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy

FART Fabric Acquisition Road Trip ( I do that all the time!!)

TGIF Thank God Itís Friday is the usual acronym but quilters like Thank God Itís Finished.

WIWMI Wish It Would Make Itself

WWIT What Was I Thinking?

And finally WOMBAT Wast of Material, Batting and Time (This one is close to my Oz Heart!!).

As I said thatís just a small sample of the quilting acronyms out there.
    So Iíll say cheerio for now as I need to plan a FART and MGBTQ .

Found this while I was looking at other quilting sites. Most of them we already know, but there are some new ones as well.
    :?: :?:

The acronyms are 2 2 cute. Thanks loads.

Blog Entries
    To clean my carpets from threads which is 2 222much, after vacuming I use masking tape to colect them two 60 cm of them make your carpet new ;)

wonderful idea!! 8-)

Thanks a million ChubbyBunny. I've never seen so much good advice and common sense in one place before!

Hugs
    Marion
    UK

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast