Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Want to"  vs "Ability" >

"Want to" vs "Ability"

"Want to" vs "Ability"

Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Ugg, The chances are pretty good that like me many of you would love to produce a "Charisma" quilt. Instead the results are far less than eye catching. The words that come to mind are "face grimacing" . Not at all what my mind had planned, my hands and arms had an agenda all their own. There's enough free motion test squares laying around this sewing studio to pad my cell for the day I crack from trying so hard. How does one get the two to compromise and work hand in hand? The way I see Ability is very stubborn and doesn't like my mind at all. So purchasing an expensive machine is the answer, it'll be here next week. Maybe that will show Ability that this is serious! A blue ribbon at the county fair is not the desired destination. Just a little satisfaction and gratification. Is that to much to ask of Ability? We work hard to search the QB for answers, we google, surf, donate, welcome new members, and most of all given substandard quilting projects to people we love because we know they wont tell us our Ability took the day off. So just once I wish that Want to and Ability would come together and not produce something that looks like this.

This was leftovers from a previous quilt. Used it for practicing FM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219441[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219435.jpe  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 AM

What are you talking about???!!! It looks great!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Google Goddess

great job!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Looks good and is better than I can do!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:32 AM

Well, I like it!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Administrator

i wish my feathers looked that good.

i can still barely stipple.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Not sure what you are complaining about. It's very pretty! Besides, (while I totally admire the work of Charisma) I want to make "Martina Quilts" which means I do the best I can and improve as I go along. I think you can be very happy with your "Lea work."
Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM

You're just way to hard on yourself, looks great, a lot better than I can do
Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM
saf

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Ugg, The chances are pretty good that like me many of you would love to produce a "Charisma" quilt. Instead the results are far less than eye catching. The words that come to mind are "face grimacing" . Not at all what my mind had planned, my hands and arms had an agenda all their own. There's enough free motion test squares laying around this sewing studio to pad my cell for the day I crack from trying so hard. How does one get the two to compromise and work hand in hand? The way I see Ability is very stubborn and doesn't like my mind at all. So purchasing an expensive machine is the answer, it'll be here next week. Maybe that will show Ability that this is serious! A blue ribbon at the county fair is not the desired destination. Just a little satisfaction and gratification. Is that to much to ask of Ability? We work hard to search the QB for answers, we google, surf, donate, welcome new members, and most of all given substandard quilting projects to people we love because we know they wont tell us our Ability took the day off. So just once I wish that Want to and Ability would come together and not produce something that looks like this.
Hey wish mine looked that good. Give yourself a break and a pat on the back! And I know exactly what you mean......
Old 07-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

OK I think you are way to hyper critical of yourself. The picture you posted looks darn good to me!

FMQ is not easy. I never could master it on a DSM. I find freehand LAing much easier to do then I ever found FMQ.