Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: $3 for fat quarter ?

I went to a LQS for a sale and found that all fat quarters that have been precut are $3. Now that computes to $12 a yard. Most fabric in this shop is $9.50. And many fat quarters were from older ie cheaper fabric. I am wondering is this typical or this shop taking advantage of customers?

Rita

I don't know but I would never pay $3 for a fat quarter.

Blog Entries
    That's what it is around here too. Batiks are $12.75/yd and about $3.25/FQ. Regular cottons are a little less, but not by much.

Depressing, isn't it?

Sounds tooo steep for me.... What are they thinking?!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: ;) ;)

I have found that on ebay also...you really have to watch and do some calculating...

You are paying for all the heavy, intensive, labor and equipment involved in cutting one quarter yard of fabric.

See those ladies sprawled in chairs at the back of the shop, sweating, drinking Gatorade, and panting - they just cut a fat quarter for you.

some shops insist that fq's should add up to more than the yardage price- because they are paying someone to cut them-(the convienience you pay for for not cutting them yourself)
    i asked one time---well why doesn't it cost more if i have to cut a 1/4 yard for someone at the cutting table then?
    boy the daggers that flashed! :)
    and she took a breath and said- well fq's have to be folded a certain way too- it takes more time- - -
    i learned to not ask many questions of the owner in this shop (i worked in for over a year:) )
    i still wonder though---how you can go through and raise your prices 30% then post signs all over for a HUGE 20% OFF SALE!!!
    some people are (business people) not quilters-and they are there to make money
    but bottom line is- pre-cuts cost more than yardage because it costs someone to PRE-CUT and we pay for the convienience-it saves us time-not money

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I have actually seen FQs for more than $3, which makes me balk big-time. But we also have to realize that these shops are struggling in this economy. As cotton prices have skyrocketed, we're buying less fabric. This is one way they can pull in a little extra. We do love our FQs, don't we?

Blog Entries
    I can live with out pre cuts. It look like I may have to do with less quality of fabric. At some point they will price themselves out of business. I understand they too are held to a high prices and they have to pass it down. They may want to sale every thing out first before buying more. Then maybe the price of will go down for all. :?

hehehe, I can just see this. LOL my LQS is also charging $3. per FQ so maybe I'll go ahead and buy that 1/2 yard at $4.50 or so. I just needed an excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    You are paying for all the heavy, intensive, labor and equipment involved in cutting one quarter yard of fabric.

See those ladies sprawled in chairs at the back of the shop, sweating, drinking Gatorade, and panting - they just cut a fat quarter for you.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast