Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" seam  for hand quilting >

1/4" seam for hand quilting

1/4" seam for hand quilting

Old 12-16-2009, 10:39 AM

I like the look of the 1/8" seam. The rest of the quilting is done 1/4" apart, but that left a 1/2" space between the seams. To Heck with the rules! Sew on Baby!!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM

You have me a bit confused as to whether you're asking about 1/4 " seams or 1/4 inch between a seam and a quilting line.. lots of difference in my opinion.
Being a long time hand quilter, I wouldn't do any less than a quarter inch for hand stitched seams for a couple of reasons.. the main one being if you are making a quilt that will be used and washed, good luck with it lasting if you use less than that. 1/4" isn't many rows of thread in the weave of the fabric and less than that has the potential to ravel out and there go your seams.I don't understand this "tenting" you're getting with hand stitched seams either.. guess I'm just a bit dense today..
The only time I use less than 1/4" seams is with a mini or doll quilt that will not get the wear that a regularly used quilt will.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 AM

I sew together the pieces in a block with 1/4" and I sew the blocks toghter with 1/2" seams. I use a machine to sew the blocks togehter. This may be cheating. When I quilted the blocks, the machine sewn seams would stand up, by quilting 1/8" next to the seam line on both the right and left side of the machine seams, they would then lay flat. I know this is hard to explain on "paper".
Old 12-16-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cwpainter
I like the look of the 1/8" seam. The rest of the quilting is done 1/4" apart, but that left a 1/2" space between the seams. To Heck with the rules! Sew on Baby!!
If you plan on machine washing, I would not expect an 1/8" seam to stand up.

It sounds like you are making your life more complicated by having varying sized seams. I don't understand your reasoning.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
Rules!?!?! There are RULES in quilting?? Guidlines maybe but there are not rules that I know of!!! Someone please splain these rules to me.
Rules are only made for people who qualify for the ugliest quilt contest, and that would not be a single soul on the QB. The rest of us use guidelines ...... or not. lol

I think it is personal preference, how and where the quilting lines go. 1/4" is easy to gauge even without the tape. More than the actual distance, I think it's more important to have consistency.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moonpi
If you plan on machine washing, I would not expect an 1/8" seam to stand up.

It sounds like you are making your life more complicated by having varying sized seams. I don't understand your reasoning.
I thought at first she was asking about seams also, but what she was actually asking about is hand quilting lines (distance from seams).
Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I've been known to draw quilting stitches on quilts so what do I know? LOL. I quilt merrily along doing what I want on my quilt.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:54 PM

As a handquilter the only reason I quilt in 1/4 inch is to avoid the extra fabric in the seam. There is no hard and fast rule. Sometimes I quilt in the ditch, which can be a nightmare for handquilting, sometimes 1/8" and sometimes 1/4". Whatever feels and looks right to you is the right way.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cwpainter
I sew together the pieces in a block with 1/4" and I sew the blocks toghter with 1/2" seams. I use a machine to sew the blocks togehter. This may be cheating. When I quilted the blocks, the machine sewn seams would stand up, by quilting 1/8" next to the seam line on both the right and left side of the machine seams, they would then lay flat. I know this is hard to explain on "paper".
If this is working for you and you like the look, then carry on!!! :D:D:D
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Do you stitch in a ditch for finishing in USA?
Here in Japan everyone handquilts and the instructor told me that we would sew 1/4" next to seams and then for finisshing stitch in a ditch up all over. It will stable the blocks very well.