Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4 inch foot with guide >

1/4 inch foot with guide

1/4 inch foot with guide

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Okay,

So how many of you quilt with a 1/4 inch foot with a guide. Before my Kaye England retreat you would have had to pry my Bernina #57 foot with the guide out of my cold dead hands before I would try the one without the guide.

Well as I was working I would take a finished block over to Kaye and ask how I was doing. She kept saying your sewing is great, but your seams are a little fat, so work on that.

So as I continued I asked Leslie a woman helping with the event about it and she asked if I always used my guide? I said yes, and she said I should try my #47 without it.

So I did and WOW...I thought it would be PAINFULLY difficult, but I decided to give it a try and see how it went.

I was floored at how much easier it is to see where your fabric is under the foot, the guide really just cover up what you need to see.

So if you were like me and never wanted to try it....TRY IT! You may be surprised!! :)
Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM

I completely agree, I always had one without and my new machine came with one that had it used it one time, and completely hate it, much prefer without
Old 04-07-2011, 03:32 PM

Mike, I know you enjoyed the workshop, but what did you think of our beautiful section of KY?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 PM

I can't use a guide. I like to see exactly where my fabric is going.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM

I use the 1/4" guide foot because of my arthritis. However, I enlarged the needle hole so I could move my needle over. Some patterns are strict 1/4" and others require a scant 1/4". By the way my Pfaff 1/4" guide foot does not wobble at all like on other machines.

ali
Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
BMP

I LOVE my #57 foot, I will never give it up !!! I tried it without for many years and I will never go back... LOL LOL
Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM

I use my regular foot, but played around with needle position until I found a 1/4". Just have to remember to change the needle position each time I turn on the machine. I've goofed a couple times and had to "unsew"
Old 04-07-2011, 03:40 PM

I also changed from a 1/4" foot with a fence to one without. Finally figured out that the foot with the fence was a fat 1/4" not a scant or even a true 1/4" seam !
Old 04-07-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
I LOVE my #57 foot, I will never give it up !!! I tried it without for many years and I will never go back... LOL LOL
:D I was right there as well. Hey if it works for you that is all the matters. :)

The other thing that could have aided me is they had me move my speed lever to the middle position.....it's AMAZING how much control you gain by doing that :lol:
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky
Mike, I know you enjoyed the workshop, but what did you think of our beautiful section of KY?
Well to be HONEST, it looked lovely driving in, and lovely driving out.... :P

I spent all my time in the hotel convention center, so I didn't get to see much, but driving and seeing all the barns and horse was nice. It's actually not to far off from Iowa, other than you have a much larger city section than we do. :)