Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4 inch foot with guide for Viking Sapphire >

1/4 inch foot with guide for Viking Sapphire

1/4 inch foot with guide for Viking Sapphire

Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM

Default 1/4 inch foot with guide for Viking Sapphire

I'm thinking of buying this foot. Are there any Sapphire owners out there using it? On my old machine I used to use a magnetic seam guide but I hear that you are not supposed to use magnetic stuff on computerized machines.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 AM

It is a nice foot to have but you can't use it for sewing across fabric, like corner to corner on a square to make a half square triangle. Have you thought about the foot without the guide? You can also preset your machine for the 1/4" seam and use the A foot.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 AM

I dont use my 1/4 foot any more. There is a setting for 1/4 inch but it is too big so I adjust my needle and use the A foot.
I adjust the needle to 2.5
Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 AM

i have one, use it all the time, in fact, i forget to change the foot half the time when i switch to a blanket stitch, so then i break the needle!!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 AM

I love my 1/4 inch foot. My Mom had the Viking Ruby ..and just prior to pruchase discovered the 1/4 inch foot. I was curious if she would use it /or want it for the Ruby. She has been sewing/quilting for over 75 years, and could do a 1/4 inch really well without it. But she loves the guide bar and says she can so a bit faster and it more relaxing using the 1/4 inch foot with a guide. I too have a Viking and that little guide bar... is worth it. Do note Viking has several versions of the 1/4 inch foot. One has a single hole in the foot w/guide bar , another has a more open needle area so you can move the needle for different widths, and another is a 1/4 inch foot with no guide bar( not a fan of that foot).
Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by gailinva View Post
It is a nice foot to have but you can't use it for sewing across fabric, like corner to corner on a square to make a half square triangle. Have you thought about the foot without the guide? You can also preset your machine for the 1/4" seam and use the A foot.
Why not? I do. I use the guide and run it along the drawn line to make my half square triangles. No reason not to.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 AM

The magnetic seam guide won't hurt your machine; the computers are set up like a regular pc. The 1/4 foot w/guide on the side is great (I have it on all of my machines) but check to make sure that when you sew it's still a 1/4 in. I have to adjust my needle. You might also want to check (even though more expensive) the new interchangeable walking foot that has many different feet for it. The one great feature about this new foot is that this walking foot can go forward/backward and many other things.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
Why not? I do. I use the guide and run it along the drawn line to make my half square triangles. No reason not to.
I leave it on when doing half squares and flying geese or anything else. Don't see a problem with it.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM

I use mine all the time for my Sapphire and my Designer SE. The great thing is that all my feet are interchangeable for Vikings.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM

I bought one for my Viking Platinum and returned it. It measured a 'true' 1/4" vs. a 'scant' 1/4". I found I got better results with setting the needle position for the 'scant 1/4" ' on my machine.