Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 1/4 inch or scant 1/4 inch?

1/4 inch or scant 1/4 inch?

If a pattern doesn't specify, do you use a 1/4 inch seam or a scant 1/4 inch seam?

If it does not say, I would go with the regular one.
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it. - Jonathan Winters

It depends on how much it leaves on the front of the block. Sew three 1.5 x 3 inch strips together. Press and measure the center strip on the top. If it's not 1 inch you need to adjust your seam allowance. The actual measurement of the seam allowance does not matter.

My understanding is that a 1/4" is a 1/4" and a scant 1/4" is 3/16" - as long as you are consistant in the making of the quilt use whatever you like. If your block has a lot of pieces they say a scant 1/4" helps with mataining the correct block size - you will be doing a lot of ironing your seams and the scant 1/4" helps.

I totally agree with Scissor Queen. Use whatever seam allowance gives you the size block you need. That goes for any pattern, whether or not it says scant. Your focus should be on the front of the block, not the back.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    It depends on how much it leaves on the front of the block. Sew three 1.5 x 3 inch strips together. Press and measure the center strip on the top. If it's not 1 inch you need to adjust your seam allowance. The actual measurement of the seam allowance does not matter.
    I totally agree. Once you figure out where this is on your machine, you are all set. Remember that if you change something, thicker/ thinner thread, different fabric (flannel vs. quilting cotton etc.) you need to re-check your setting. It only takes a few minutes and when you look at the amount of time you put into piecing a top it's a well worth it.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I use a scant 1/4" all the time. If I am making a project, I make sure I use the same thread top and bottom, and have enough to use for the entire project. It does make a difference.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

For quilting I assume it means a scant quarter.

My understanding of a scant quarter is 1-2 threads smaller than a quarter, so it would fall between a quarter and 3/16ths.

I agree that the best thing to do is the seam test that Scissor Queen described to ensure that you've got an accurate seam.

Cheers, K

Scissor Queen hit the nail on the head!