Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" seams on my Janome 12000 -- HELP!!! >

1/4" seams on my Janome 12000 -- HELP!!!

1/4" seams on my Janome 12000 -- HELP!!!

Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM

Make sure that your needle is in the needle up position when you set it. It should be moving to the right.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eisy View Post
Dumb Question, but are you sure that the needle is moving. Maybe there is something wrong with your machine.
Not a dumb question at all .....

I don't know this machine, but with my machine .... if I have the single hole needle plate in (and the machine setting for that set) .... the needle will not move, yet the display will show as though the needle moved. Whereas if you watch the needle you can see that it has not!

These newer machines are sometimes too smart for us ... good security though, so you do not try to stitch a zig zag stitch and then break the needle against the single hole plate!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Silly question--how do you move the needle position?
Not all machines can do this. If it can there is a button should be near the stitch length and stitch width buttons.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 AM

the needle only moves when the foot is in the upright position on my Janome. I hope your answer is as easy as this

I'd been sewing for years before someone told me to thread the machine with the foot up. I'd been doing it with the foot down because it was easier to thread the needle when I got there...no wonder I always had tension problems!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
Silly question--how do you move the needle position?
Not all machines allow you to move the needle, especially the older ones. You also have to have the correct plate so that if you move the needle it'll hit the hole and not the metal of a single hole plate.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
Not all machines allow you to move the needle, especially the older ones. You also have to have the correct plate so that if you move the needle it'll hit the hole and not the metal of a single hole plate.
....... and some of the newer machines won't let you move the needle if you have that single hole plate in. As mentioned earlier ... nice security feature!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I believe that you need to use a standard foot when you move the needle. Generally, the 1/4" foot doesn't allow the needle position to be altered.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:45 PM

I have the 12000 and there is a foot which came with machine, with a black blade on right side, rest of foot is clear with red markings in 1/8" increments. With this foot, I get a scant 1/4 inch, easily, and do not need to move the needle. Yes this machine does have capability to move the needle. But not needed with this foot, and actually, if you use the straight stitch needle plate you wouldn't want to move the needle.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:53 AM

What are you trying to line the fabric up with? If it is too big of a seam when you line it up with the edge of the 1/4 inch foot, trying lining it up just a bit inside the edge of the foot. This will give you a slightly smaller seam. Actually, when I have my 1/4 inch foot on, I will use the quarter inch mark on my stitch plate and line up my fabric so I can still see that mark. Another trick I learned is that it is usually is easier and less stressful when piecing those small units and blocks to just use my 5.5 mm travel Bernina. As the feed dogs are closer together, it is much less stressful for me to just use that machine. I usually switch over to my 9mm Bernina when I start to stitch the rows together though as that machine is set in my cabinet and makes it easier to stitch those rows together. I have been thinking about getting a table insert for the 5.5 Bernina but I do like a lot of the extra features that are on the 9mm one.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

how about changing the way one lines up the fabric with the presser foot?