Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 10 Minute Block. More Information

Blog Entries
    okay. I did a search to see what a 10MB was out of curiosity, thinking I might like to try it if I liked what I saw and sure enough I already know this block but by a different name. I know it as a Dimensional Bow Tie. I found this pattern in 1999 in a book titled: Memory Quilts in the Making by Oxmoor House. This is a great little book! Lots of old fashion patterns and new ones too, all designed to make memories!

So , just how far back does the history of this block go? Is there any more info out there?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    The first time I saw it I thought it reminded me of the bowtie. Quilters will always reinvent blocks and give them new names, it happens all the time.

I made the block over a year ago as "bow tie". I found it extremely easy and I think if you work it thinking its a bow tie it goes together easier.

Blog Entries
    Its the technique that is new. The standard bowtie does not go together with 3 straight seams. It is more complicated and you can't do the cathedral technique on it either.

Blog Entries
    http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/3DBowTies/index.html
    yep, that's what it's called here.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    The first time I saw it I thought it reminded me of the bowtie. Quilters will always reinvent blocks and give them new names, it happens all the time.
    I agree. One block can have several names such as the block Monkey Wrench, Hole in the Barn Door, and Churn Dash which are the same block.

About 8 years ago, I made a block called dimensional bowtie. It is the 10 minute block. I also made a dimensional spools block by using half sq. triangles in 2 of the corners. It looked like a wooden spool with thread.

Nancy