1. Press don't iron. Do not wiggle your iron around it will stretch and distort your fabric. Pressing means picking up the iron off the fabric and putting it back down each time you move.
2. Set your seams just as it was sewn do not open or move seams yet. This helps sink the stiches into the fabric , and lessens the bulk when opened.
3. Let the fabric cool in place before moving to prevent distortion of bias edges.
4. Finger press first it is temporary and good if you are not sure which way the seam will eventually be pressed.
5. Avoid seeing seam shadows. Generally press towards the dark. If pressing to the lighter fabric trim the darker fabric seam allowance by 1/16 after seam is sewn to prevent any shadows.
6. If a seam has been pressed the wrong way , return to unpreesed state and start over. Wait before it cools to move the seam the other way.
7. When there are several seams meeting , press them open. Distributes the bulk and makes it easier to quilt.
8. To prevent from smashing your applique turn it face down on a terry cloth before pressing.
9. Straight seams should be pressed from the right side of fabric with the iron parallel to the straight grain. Helps from you getting tucks and pleats in the seam.
10.A bias seam should be pressed with the iron at a 45 degree angle to the seam and along the straight of grain to prevent distortion. God to use this methond when pressing 1/2 square triangles.
Hope this tips help. I need to be more careful when I press :!: :!: :roll: :oops: :lol: :shock: :( :?