Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 100% poly fabric that feels like cotton

I was at Hancock Fabrics the other day and they had a section of fabrics that were marked down to $2.00 a yard. It felt just like cotton but I looked and the contents were 100% poly. I wonder how it would have worked in a quilt with 100% cotton?

Are you sure that the end of bolt belonged to the fabric on it? Sometimes the bolts are reused and it make have been a cotton just on a poly bolt.

I'm sure, there were about 10 bolts like that - it almost reminded me of Connecting Threads fabric. It felt almost exactly like cotton but just a tad different. If I would not have seen the 100% poly, I would have thought it was cotton.

The shrinkage factor of putting polys with cottons is something to consider. Cottons shrink some, polys usually don't.

They were gorgeous fabrics, with a reproduction floral look... hmmm... might be talking myself back into driving to town. They are probably gone now though, at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    The shrinkage factor of putting polys with cottons is something to consider. Cottons shrink some, polys usually don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    I had some good poly that shrank 1/4" on a 9" strip when I pressed it! Be careful!

ummmmmm, did u sell ALL of our truck loads?????

LOL

if they had bolts of it could u have gotten enough differnt polys to make an entire quilt?

Power Poster
    There's only one way to satisfy your curiosity. Buy some and make up a small sample using the different fabrics. How does it react to the iron? Machine quilt it and use it and abuse it and see how it reacts. Did the cotton shrink? Did the poly shrink? Inquiring minds want to know!

Blog Entries
    Besides usually shrinking at a different rate ( although you can prewash/dry them :wink: ) Be sure and remember to lower the heat on your iron when mixing the two :D:D:D