Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100+ tissue covers later............... >

100+ tissue covers later...............

100+ tissue covers later...............

Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Wow, you have been busy, have never made any. But have a received a few lovely ones from SP on the board.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I made 16 of these in approx. 1-1/2 hours - and I used my serger and did them assembly line style. But I can't get a full package of kleenex in mine. Have to take about half out of a pkg. in order for them to fit. Did I do something wrong or are my kleenex too fluffy? I know what my sunday school class is getting for christmas.

Maybe we need to widen by a half inch and lengthen by a half or so. Actually, I've not put tissues in mine yet. Hope they aren't all tight.

I've given some to friends already. A set of 3 holiday covers, a set of 3 seasonal covers and a set of 3 pretty covers are going to a chance auction at church. I'm going to gather up a dozen or so for a benefit. I'm going to sell a few at my club meeting tonight with part of the price going back to the club. I've promised my GS all he wants for gifts at school. AND EVERYONE I KNOW, will get one for Christmas. LOL I do have a few masculine ones that might be good for the truck seat if the guys don't want to carry them.

And after 119 completed-----------I've got more laying on my sewing table to be done. Oh, and I did find some of my cut off pants legs. Some gal in our area is real fond of bright, printed, stretch jeans, and bless her heart, she donates them to Goodwill. Made some real cute shopping bags from them-----------now a few tissue covers, too! I wish my computer would let me post pictures-----------a couple are WILD!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM

I made a few today and found some tissues to put in them. It is amazing that I had 2 different sizes of Kleenex tissues in the house and 1 generic (from Staples, I think). One of the Kleenex's was high, but skinny. The other had a few Kleenex's missing, but it was longer and wider than the other one. It fit in nicely, probably because some of the Kleenex's were missing. The Staples brand ($1 for a 10 pack if I remember correctly) was smaller than both of the Kleenex's and doesn't fit snuggly. All of these were purchased awhile back, so I will have to check the market.

The idea is great -- so easy, and they look professional.

Dayle
Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I made a few today and found some tissues to put in them. It is amazing that I had 2 different sizes of Kleenex tissues in the house and 1 generic (from Staples, I think). One of the Kleenex's was high, but skinny. The other had a few Kleenex's missing, but it was longer and wider than the other one. It fit in nicely, probably because some of the Kleenex's were missing. The Staples brand ($1 for a 10 pack if I remember correctly) was smaller than both of the Kleenex's and doesn't fit snuggly. All of these were purchased awhile back, so I will have to check the market.

The idea is great -- so easy, and they look professional.

Dayle
I've found some easy things to do for little gifts---------but this is about as easy as I've seen. 128 done, more cut.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM

I found this pattern for little shirts tissue holder -- is it the one?

http://www.heirloomcreations.net/sho...older-pattern/
Old 10-04-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I found this pattern for little shirts tissue holder -- is it the one?

http://www.heirloomcreations.net/sho...older-pattern/
No, that is not the pattern but that one is cute as well. The pattern that everybody is using is posted on the tutorial page of the QB. It is fairly close to the top. Here is the link
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/super-super-easy-tissue-holder-t107636.html
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 PM

I used the 7 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch and a 6 1/2 x 5 1/2 and found it to be a little too tight. I ended up using 7 3/4 x 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 x 5 1/2 and this fits fine.

since one fabric was 7 1/2 and the other 6 1/2, using a 1/4 inch seam put the fold after being sewn together very tight, making one fabric 8 x 5 1/2 and the other 6 1/4 x 5 1/2 removes the issue of pressing the sides once sewn and inverted. the critical measurement is the sum of 7 3/4 + 6 1/2 = 14 1/4 for the sum of the 2 fabrics, the longer the long fabric is the wider the band at the opening will be, so play around with various lengths of the 2 fabrics and find a set of measurement that works for you.

the 5 1/2 measurement worked good for the tissues i had. when in doubt buy your tissues, make a test using your measurements and finalize the measurements before making a bunch.

i have a 5 thread serger that does a baseline and an overlock edge all in one shot that makes finishing these really quick.

remember that the longer of the 2 fabrics will be the lining and the band at the opening. the shorter fabric will be the most visible outside fabric.

Last edited by eb in calif; 10-04-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by eb in calif View Post
I used the 7 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch and a 6 1/2 x 5 1/2 and found it to be a little too tight. I ended up using 7 3/4 x 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 x 5 1/2 and this fits fine.

since one fabric was 7 1/2 and the other 6 1/2, using a 1/4 inch seam put the fold after being sewn together very tight, making one fabric 8 x 5 1/2 and the other 6 1/4 x 5 1/2 removes the issue of pressing the sides once sewn and inverted. the critical measurement is the sum of 7 3/4 + 6 1/2 = 14 1/4 for the sum of the 2 fabrics, the longer the long fabric is the wider the band at the opening will be, so play around with various lengths of the 2 fabrics and find a set of measurement that works for you.

the 5 1/2 measurement worked good for the tissues i had. when in doubt buy your tissues, make a test using your measurements and finalize the measurements before making a bunch.

i have a 5 thread serger that does a baseline and an overlock edge all in one shot that makes finishing these really quick.

remember that the longer of the 2 fabrics will be the lining and the band at the opening. the shorter fabric will be the most visible outside fabric.
I think you misread the pictures. The liner piece is 8.5" long.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 AM

Even though I think I'm going to be sorry, I'm going to do one with a heavyweight woven velveteen liner and a silver lame outer shell. May have to put interfacing on lame first. I know it's a nightmare to sew----------but I have to try.

If my mail it forward to that loony bin, you'll know why!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by eb in calif View Post

Just remember when you use the 5-thread serger, that you're taking a deeper seam (more like a 1/2" seam) so don't forget to make an allowance for that when you cut your fabric.