Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100 year old quilt top grandmother did >

100 year old quilt top grandmother did

100 year old quilt top grandmother did

Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM

I need advice/guidance please. Grandmother's quilt top is over 100 years old. I want to get it quilted. When I went to a quilting group they said it cannot be quilted, it would fall apart. Is there some way to preserve the top so it can be quilted? Thanks for your help. Libber
Old 02-04-2011, 09:55 AM

You could very well risk damaging the fabric as over the years if the top wasn't impeccably stored the fibers weaken. I know you'd really like to quilt it, but it really could be a gamble in this situation. Without having the top professionally appraised and looked it to determine it's stability and integrity, you could really risk losing an heirloom to your family. In my honest opinion, I think you'd be better off by cherishing it as a top only from a beloved family member. Truth be told, not all quilt tops require and/or need quilting in order to be displayed and enjoyed by everyone! I wouldn't risk it personally.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I agree, if the fabric is that fragile you would probably end up with tatters :(
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 AM

So what would you do to be able to display & enjoy? Asking because a friend has approached me regarding quilt tops she has that too were made by her grandmother & are very very old, but never finished. She wants to know what to do.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Fold gently and place in a shadow box or glass box.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm not saying your quilt group isn't knowledgable, but if you haven't done this, maybe consider taking it to a reputable appraiser, someone who really really knows about the restoration of old quilts......

Sandi
FL
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Fold gently and place in a shadow box or glass box.
Have a display box made with low e glass to help filter out the damaging light rays.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by libber
I need advice/guidance please. Grandmother's quilt top is over 100 years old. I want to get it quilted. When I went to a quilting group they said it cannot be quilted, it would fall apart. Is there some way to preserve the top so it can be quilted? Thanks for your help. Libber
You might shoot the International Quilt Study Center & Museum an email, and see what they suggest. They may have some other display options other than the great ones already mentioned. Click the Contact Us at the bottom of the page.

http://www.quiltstudy.org/

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM

I have many quilt tops my grandmother made in the 1930's from used material. Very fragile. I backed some of them with muslin, no batting, and carefully knotted them with cotton thread at the intersections of seams. I added a sleeve to the backing material at the top and hung on a wooden dowel. All of the weight of the quilt is on the muslin, not the quilt top. I change them out frequently and they are hung in a spot that gets no direct sunlight.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

First of all, since you are the owner of this quilt, it is completely up to you to decide what you want to do with it. If you want to quilt it, you need to use the same type (not age) of thread that it was pieced with and you should use a backing of the same vintage/fabric type so you don't negate the value of the quilt top. I am assuming here that it is a cotton quilt......?

Restorers repair and re-quilt antique quilts all the time, it depends on what repairs are needed on the specific quilt. It's not uncommon for them to work on quilts from the 1800's and earlier. Fabrics of this vintage are still available today.

I would look over each piece of fabric and all of the seams to make sure there are no repairs needed there. If there are some block pieces that need to be repaired, PM me and I'll tell you the best way to go about making the repairs. In my opinion the quilt top should be quilted to help add to the stability of the pieced top...as long as the top is in good condition and not disintegrating. If the condition is less than good, I suggest you just do your best to display it properly and enjoy having something that your grandmother made in your home. There are several good articles on the net on how to clean, store and display antique quilts. Good Luck!

Rose, a quilt restoration student