Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 16 patch block

16 patch block

Hi! I am making 16 patch blocks and cant figure out if I should press the 4 row seams to one direction or use the twirly thing trick which opens up the seams a little more. Help!
    Last edited by quiltykim; 06-14-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Happy Stitching! Kim

Blog Entries
    what block is it? squares or pinwheel type design. depends on block design how you need to press it. if you have seams coming together a lot, you might need to lessen those.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltykim View Post
    Hi! I am making 16 patch blocks and cant figure out if I should press the 4 row seams to one direction or use the twirly thing trick which opens up the seams a little more. Help!
    What I've been doing is treat each individual block as always-----iron to the dark. When I sew the 4 blocks together, I number my rows, then iron each uneven row to the left and even rows to the right. When I connect those rows, i don't end up with a lot of fabric in any seam.

And remember that flat side of the meat tenderizer hammer helps flatten bumpy junctions.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I would iron all the seams open.
    *Rachel*

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    I would iron all the seams open.
    I always press all my seams open for this very reason (well, that's one of the reasons). You don't have to worry about which row goes which direction. Plus, the other reason is that the seams line up & match so nicely. And I think they lay flatter, too.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Great suggestions! I always struggle with which way to iron and this will be so helpful. Thanks for sharing!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! This 16 patch is 4 strips of 4 squares sewn together. For each strip of 4 colors they were either pressed up or down so when I sewed the 4 strips together they nest beautifully. Then I struggled with what to do. It was too late to press all seams open. I'll try that next quilt. You all are wonderful ! Thanks for the help!
    Happy Stitching! Kim

i always heard it was difficult to press open 1/4 seams, unlike fashion sewing. It makes sense though - I maytry it on my next project.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltykim View Post
    I believe this is what you are asking about. It can also be done with pinwheel blocks. Learning how to "swirl" the intersection on blocks has reduced a lot of bulk at the seam intersections in my quilts. I think I first saw Billie Lauder doing this on Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson. Nice technique.

Blog Entries
    I like to press seams open, because it helps the block lay flat. Flatter blocks are easier to quilt over too. Pressing them to one side might make the quilt top itself a little stronger, but with machine sewing the difference is minimal.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast