Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1860s quilt binding question >

1860s quilt binding question

1860s quilt binding question

Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm about to finish a quilt top. I'm trying to make this look as though it had been made in the 1860s - not faking it, just reproducing the look.

When I go to bind the edges, which was more common: to use the backing fabric rolled up over the edge to the front or to use a separate binding over the quilt edge?

I've looked at some originals, and it seems that if I use a separate binding it wouldn't be too bad, but the pictures don't show the back of the quilts.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I'm about to finish a quilt top. I'm trying to make this look as though it had been made in the 1860s - not faking it, just reproducing the look.

When I go to bind the edges, which was more common: to use the backing fabric rolled up over the edge to the front or to use a separate binding over the quilt edge?

I've looked at some originals, and it seems that if I use a separate binding it wouldn't be too bad, but the pictures don't show the back of the quilts.
I have 2 quilts made by my family from the late 1800 and early 1900 and both had the fold over method. I am thinking that the fold over would be more common but a separate binding is not impossible
Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM

I agree with AbbyQuilts. Not an expert by any means but my memory seems to think that the fold over the back was more common. Look forward to see what you are making.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:01 AM

I just checked some of my antique quilts and they used both methods... looks like it would just be what you want to do with them. Can't wait to see it!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 AM

This question is in relation to my hexagonal quilt top: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-135234-1.htm

Now the challenge is to find a backing fabric that I like & will go with this one...
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

I own 7 original mid 1800 quilts..ALL of them have a binding that was sewn on to the front and hand stitched down in the back!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

In my experience of loving, collecting, and studying antique quilts, I would say that an applied binding is more prevalent on 'intricately' pieced quilts such as yours.....as opposed to large block or strippy-type utility quilts, which often used a turn-to-the-front binding.

Yours in black would be perfect.
Or you could finish the edges with a facing so that the edges could retain their hex shapes all around. I'd do that type in the same fabric as you use for the backing.

Going to be great any way!

Jan in VA
Old 07-05-2011, 01:07 PM

I have a quilt made for me as a baby. Not early 1900 but a long time ago (about 1940) and it has a binding sewn on and stitched by hand on the back. My guess is that they turned to back over to the front if they didn't have a sewing machine or if they were in a hurry to finish it.
Sue
Old 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM

You guys are awesome. I ask on another message board - no response. I ask here & receive an answer within 15 minutes.

Big gold star for everyone!