Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st topper/Quilting hoop >

1st topper/Quilting hoop

1st topper/Quilting hoop

Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Smile 1st topper/Quilting hoop

ok today I am cutting out my pieces for the ozark star table topper. I am planning on hand quilting. Could someone please tell me what size hoop is best to get. I will be going to craft shop tomorrow. I purchased a rottary cutter and mat at WM and do I love them.....

Thanks,
Sunday
Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 AM

How big is your table topper? And what are your future plans for projects? You could get a small one for this project and then find you need a bigger one for another project.
I have 4 big oval hoops (30")and one smaller (24").

You can always baste extra fabric on the sides of your project to hold it in the hoop.

Just wanna add, Way to Go!! for trying hand quilting, I love it. I hope you will too.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE=ptquilts;5209728]How big is your table topper? And what are your future plans for projects?

the topper is 20 x 18 1/2

and I want to get where I can do king size quilts.

my mom died 4 years ago this june. I would like to take her clothes and make a quilt for each of us girls (3 in all). just not sure which material is best.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 PM

I don't use a hoop to hand quilt. I haven't hand quilted in a while but skipping the hoop was easier for me
Old 05-12-2012, 03:35 AM

Since you are planning to make several quilts, I recommend getting a hoop which doesn't need held, like a Hinterberg lap hoop (which I have) or a floor standing hoop. I love to hand quilt, but found it difficult to hold the hoop at the same time. It's much easier to use a hoop which supports itself. Another must-have feature is a hoop which can be rotated and tipped. As for size, if it is larger in diameter than twice the distance from your working needle to the crook of your elbow, that extra space in the middle is wasted, since you can't reach it. JMHO Have fun shopping, and enjoy handquilting! It's so relaxing!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:24 AM
Banned

For my hand quilting classes I use the 14" "No-Slip" hoop. It will do any size quilt. You just have to move the hoop more often. You can get it at JoAnn. Retail now is about $24 but coupons lower the cost. Many students who have other hand held hoops rave about this hoop when they use it in class. The difference in the "No-Slip" hoop is when you have it set (tightness) the fabric stays at the same looseness.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 AM

I use the cheapo wood hoops from JoAnns. They are either 14" or 16" and work just fine. I've not done table toppers but wouldn't hesitate to do so. I have done everything from baby to king size quilts with them, however.