Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 1/2" squares >

2 1/2" squares

2 1/2" squares

Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
How about a watercolor quilt? The kind you lay the pieces on the background of squares, iron them on then sew the seams. I never tried one but have seen the background base. Just put them anywhere, don't need to make a design unless you want to.

CarolJ.
I have the iron-on backing for one of those. Someday.....
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis Carol
Happy 2011 everyone. May it be a happy quilting year for each of you. You have certainly added to my quilting life in a terrific way during the past year. I have a couple of thousand cut 2 1/2" squares left over from previous projects. How can I best use them (some of them) in a new quilt top? What patterns would you suggest? I do only hand piecing and quilting, if that makes any difference for your suggestions. thanks in advance for your in-put.
The suggestions on what block patterns to use are terrific. I just wanted to step in here and congratulate you on hand piecing and quilting - I was beginning to wonder if there were any hand piecers left.

I love hand work and will be doing a hand piecing program tomorrow at one of my guilds. Yes, they will be participating (I can already hear the grumbles!!). This is where I started in 1979 when I joined the quilting community - everything was by hand in the "dinosaur" days (lol). And hand work is much more sociable than machine work - hard to talk when your running that machine and watching out for fingers, 1/4" seams, etc. I do machine piece now although not as well as some - machine quilting is still eluding me and my hand quilting is pretty rusty.

So thank you for continuing the tradition in this day of hurry up and get it done.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tootsie
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I use squares this size to "snowball" the corners of other peices or blocks, as in the quilt below. The reds and greens were all little squares placed over the corners of the base block, sewn across the diagonal, flipped back and pressed, the middle layer trimmed out.

Jan in VA
Jan, your quilts are gorgeous!!
Ditto and agreed. Lovely quilts.

Love, B.Hunter and quiltville.com....I was very lucky to hear her talk and see the trunk show a few months ago.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 AM

Jan, I love both of your quilts, especially the floral garden. I've never tried the square over the corner technique. but your quilts have inspired me.Thanks for sharing!
Karen in La.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 AM

My DH just sews them all together and his comes out beautiful. Sometimes he'll alternate with a solid color. Or sometimes he will put all of one kind in a row alternating with a solid. Good luck and happy quilting.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:52 AM

I saw one the other day that looked like one block was 10.5" (unfinished) and the next was 6.5" with 2.5"blocks around it to make a 10.5" block. These were alternated and looked really neat. Just something different. I want to try it soon.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 AM

If you have lots of different colored squares, I agree, a scrappy quilt would be perfect. I think they are pretty!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153045.png  
Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Love these quilts, and the technique. What pattern is the top quilt if you don't mind sharing.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 AM

I hand piece and quilt also, I use many of these small sq to make different sized blocks even. It works great. dont have a camera except on my cell phone and havent learned to put the pics on my pc yet. maybe some day. lol. Made a blooming nine patch with these also.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 AM
jme

Originally Posted by 117becca
my aunt made this 4 patch - w/ 2 prints & 2 solids alternating. While it doesn't seem to work because nothing "matches", it really is kinda cool....

She made it in 1949/50 after she & my uncle were married - I quilted it last summer

Goodness, it's hard to decide which one to post sometimes :?: :roll:
I love it, think it works great. Looks like something I would do but, I love the scrappy look :-)