Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2-3" Denim Scraps >

2-3" Denim Scraps

2-3" Denim Scraps

Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Found some denim scraps leftover from my denim quilt. Scraps are 2-3 inch strips, and a few 4 inch pieces. Would 2 or 3" squares be too small to make a quilt? If so, any ideas for these pieces?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
Found some denim scraps leftover from my denim quilt. Scraps are 2-3 inch strips, and a few 4 inch pieces. Would 2 or 3" squares be too small to make a quilt? If so, any ideas for these pieces?

Thanks.
If the denim is somewhat heavy, using that small of pieces would be very difficult. I've made several (6-7) denim quilts using denim from men's jeans. I use 6" squares. Small pieces of denim sewn together are really hard to press as seams don't want to lie flat, etc.

If the denim is lightweight, you might be able to do it, but I'd probably not frustrate myself by trying to use that small of pieces unless you use something coordinating to sew with it (like bandana fabric). It is "doable" if you use a regular cotton, but honestly, two layers of heavy denim is difficult and it would be more of a chore than "fun".
Old 05-10-2011, 11:36 AM

I'd probably just toss them. Denim that small would be hard to work with and would have a lot of bulky seams close together. However, I may not be a good quilter to seek advice from as I don't like fiddling with little bits.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM

How about something like this: ssw little squares around one large square.. incorporate into quilt or make a pillow if center square is big enough (using 4-6 bigger square blocks) on the little squares, emblish with ribbon, beads, or bright buttons??? place a BIG red bandana covered button in center????? Even if seams does not lay all the way down, they would in time with a childs use of pillow. Maybe use for strap on a bag, or small childs swing bag. Same applies if used in a quilt. take a square add strip on all four sides with your small square acting as corner stones. Maybe ironed seams opened???? I tye all my denim quilts so open seams work. Surley our grandmothers would never toss. hahaha... have fun :)
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

Maybe sew them in strips - and then join the strips, but stagger the seam lines?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Use the denim scraps for applique projects on a quilt.
Or offer them to someone on the board!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Denim is heavy, so the more seams you have, the heavier the quilt will be.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Might not really need any batting, but it sounds like it would make a nice car quilt. When our kids were small, we kept one in the car at all times, so they would cover up and hopefully snooze a little.
We camped out a lot and denim was sure a good thing to take with us there. Almost indestructible.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM

I relly enjoy denim... never use batting. I do like fleece for a backing. do not even have to pre wash and is 60" wide so get by with less length. Applique does sound cute as well. how about denim snow men (smiling) :) It is heavy, but so many things to do with them. I have to think positive on denim. :)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM

If you like thick heavy quilts then a high loft batting would hide the feel of the seams. Then you would not have to worry about pressing them. I sewed the seams down on my kids denim quilts instead of pressing. I was using 6 inch squares though. Smaller ones would be quite heavy, but would make a very nice quilt I think. Depends on what you like and maybe where you live. It got up to 60 here today :-)