Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 2 color quilt pattern

2 color quilt pattern

Please help, I need to make a quilt for my granddaughter using 2 colors, a zebra print and a medium teal. Can anyone suggest a pattern appropriate for a 10 year old using just 2 fabrics?

Ny 8 year old granddaughter made a quilt for herself using 5 inch strips which she sewed together, then cut them , turned them and sewed them together and made the top. It looks like a checker board. You could make little round pillows and she could play checkers . My grand daughter won a ribbon at the Columbia County Fair for each of her two quilts.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    I once saw a really neat d9p with teal, black & white (substitute your zebra fabric here) and white. It was verrrrry snazzy!

How about a split four patch? Here's an example.

http://proficientneedle.blogspot.ca/...tch-quilt.html

Blog Entries
    There's also Hunter's Star. Paper pieced, pattern available at QuiltersCache.

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/HuntersStarBlock.html

Name:  Justin's quilt.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  85.2 KBName:  wpid-hunters-star-2010-01-10-01-47.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  497.4 KB

i made a kaleidoscope with just two colors, that i got tons of compliments on! I do have the template though . . . . Don't know how easy/hard it would be to do without one . . . ??

good luck!

Power Poster
    How about doing half square triangles in the 2 colours and forming the 4 squares into the pinwheel design? You could alternate blocks of zebra print background with teal pinwheels and teal backgrounds with zebra print pinwheels. I don't know if she will be helping to make it but if you do the half square triangles that you make by stacking 2 squares and sewing the seam allowance twice across the bias ( then cut apart) a 10 year old could be successful.

Which ever pattern you decide to use... we need to see it once it's done.
    Sounds very pretty to me and I bet your grandaugher will love it!

Look on this website for the Take Two Pattern. I just made a couple small quilts using this pattern. I sew my strips tgether and then cut them into squares--it is quicker. I just made one with monkey material and a solid coordinating material and it is so cute. (I dont' know how to post pictures so I am not able to show it).

http://kickassquiltsupplies.com/Share/taketwo.htm

Good luck with whatever pattern you choose. Show us pictures when you are done with it.

Thank you all so much for the great ideas. I thought about doing either a D9P or the Take Two pattern. Will think on it for a little while before I actually cut the fabric. Will try to post a pic when I get the top done. Waiting for my daughter to tell me what size to make also.