Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2"x2" ruler? >

2"x2" ruler?

2"x2" ruler?

Old 12-30-2016, 05:07 AM

Looks as though the 2" acrylic template is not one "solid" square, but just the outer rim with an open window in the center. Maybe I am reading this wrong and it is one solid piece that has non-printed acrylic center. Hope this is makes sense??? Thanks for posting this link, Kris P.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by sprice View Post
I feel that the real small templates are hazardous to cut around. I'm afraid I will cut my fingers. I'd rather use maybe a 2x12 that I can hold on to it better. Can use the color transparent tape to hold your place exactly where you need it.
I second this idea. I have a hard time holding my 2-1/2 inch square steady when cutting and my fingers always seem to be in the way of my rotary blade. So far no accidents, probably because I seldom use that small ruler.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Looks as though the 2" acrylic template is not one "solid" square, but just the outer rim with an open window in the center. Maybe I am reading this wrong and it is one solid piece that has non-printed acrylic center. Hope this is makes sense??? Thanks for posting this link, Kris P.
There are solid 2" squares .... and can be bought complete with the "printed" or gridded markings as well.

The open window type would be very difficult to cut in the window centre ............
Old 12-30-2016, 06:03 AM

I would take a piece of cardboard and make it exactly 2 x 2. Lay it on top of your squares and cut out around the template.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
There are solid 2" squares .... and can be bought complete with the "printed" or gridded markings as well.

The open window type would be very difficult to cut in the window centre ............
The "open window" type is for fussy cutting(although it can be used for many things. Center the part you wish to showcase, cut around outside (seam allowance), not the center.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
The "open window" type is for fussy cutting(although it can be used for many things. Center the part you wish to showcase, cut around outside (seam allowance), not the center.
Agree ..... but you really do not need the open window to do FC work!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
I would take a piece of cardboard and make it exactly 2 x 2. Lay it on top of your squares and cut out around the template.
Rather than try to rotary cut around cardboard templates....draw around them, then cut with scissors. You say you are trying to use up scraps, so this may be a better alternative...jmho
Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 AM

Have you tried putting the tape along the 2" line? When put on the underside, it helps line up the edge perfectly (without glasses!).
Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 AM

Marcy, contact Rhonda (board name) and ask if she's still offering the mini templates. I got a whole set (2" included) from her a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted by morganfam7 View Post
I have hundreds of 2" squares given to me by several older ladies or their family. Lights and darks are my leaders and enders.

I've been looking for a 2"x2" omnigrid style ruler for cutting 2" squares from my odd shaped scraps. I have the 2.5" square, but I'm constantly having to put on my glasses to get the right line aligned. I'd rather just have a 2" square, if they make one. Anyone know? Should I just forget it and make a template and be done with it?

Thank you,

Marcy
Old 12-30-2016, 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=morganfam7;7727925]I have hundreds of 2" squares given to me by several older ladies or their family. Lights and darks are my leaders and enders.

I've been looking for a 2"x2" omnigrid style ruler for cutting 2" squares from my odd shaped scraps. I have the 2.5" square, but I'm constantly having to put on my glasses to get the right line aligned. I'd rather just have a 2" square, if they make one. Anyone know? Should I just forget it and make a template and be done with it?

I put a piece of post-it note paper to mark the proper size and then just cut away.