Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
221 Featherweight >

221 Featherweight

221 Featherweight

Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 AM

bj9patch, nice to have a picture of the case. I have a small one and it is in a wooden case...... It may take a little time but keep it cleaned and it will get as used to that as it did to the smell of the attic or wherever it had been kept. Congrats! You will enjoy it.
And as for Tim......Darlin', we like the lightweight ones so we can carry that much more fabric. I know the diff between it and my Bernina. ...about 10 yards :mrgreen: Now my purse is another matter....
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Carla, I did the search but can't find the link for dating machines. can you point me to it, i'd like to see if i can find mine.
thanks
kathy
Old 06-20-2007, 09:57 AM

My mother used to wipe suitcases, etc. with half vinager and half water to get the musty smell out. Then, she would close them and leave a couple of raw potatos cut up in them for a couple of days. The musty smell went away. It works with onion smell and tupperware - so maybe it would work with your case.

Worth a try...
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM

I think every few days, I will try each suggestion given. Thanks so much.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 AM

I am not sure what the case is made of but an old nurses trick is to wash with toothpaste, the white kind with as few additives as possible. it really works to remove odors.

It works on hands and other durable washable things.

PS thanks to all for the education about featherweights. me, i carried a Pfaff 1470, fabrics, cutting tools and book to class this past winter. guess there are advantages to being a big strong gal

are the featherweights valuable? i have gone to auctions around these parts where no one bids on old machines. i never have because i don't know what i am looking at.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:46 PM

fearthweights are hard to come by at a reasonal price they go around
$400 to $500. the parts are also expensive. they are very nice to sew on. the stitches are so even and smooth. someone decided to make them a collectable item. Donna
Old 06-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
Carla, I did the search but can't find the link for dating machines. can you point me to it, i'd like to see if i can find mine.
thanks
kathy
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

Here you go Kathy. Let me know what find out.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM

I also had the same problem, I used charcoal in the box Solid charcoal closed the box, no luck. kitty litter for a week, no luck. fabric sheets, no luck. you name it, I tried it, with no luck. I no longer have the box!!! I hope you find how to solve the problem, I love the machine its great for when you take a class, light weight to carry, I bought a canvas bag works well!!! A very dear friend had a feather weight she bought brand new for $59.00 when they first came out smells wonderful.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM

When the fetherweight came on the market new they sold for $59.00 a lady that was in my quilt group bought it new and took very good care of it, smelled wonderful, it was passed down to her daughter, so it will stay in the family.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 AM

I put a bar of Irish Spring, a box of baking soda, and some dryer sheets in the box and just closed because the smell was making me nuts. It's been over a month and I'm afraid to open because I really don't think the smell has gone away. I did, however, buy a canvas bag from www.221parts.com. It's great. Since the smelly case is the original, I'll keep it in the closet, in the back, in the dark. :lol: