Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 30 Year Old UFO

In the early 80's I took an adult ed class and started a hand pieced, hand quilted, white-on-white, some type of QAYG. Of course I don't have the directions. The quilt is nine sections and of course the bottom right hand corner remains to be sewn on the front, and the entire back needs to be sewn. My problem and the reason it remains a UFO is that the bottom left and bottom center pieces need to be ripped and resewn because they are off a 1/4 inch. I don't think I have the patience nor the inclination to hand piece it again. What if I just machine piece it? Opinions please. (Please don't ask for a picture b/c I haven't figured out how to use my new digital camera yet.)

ok its posts like these that remind me how old I really am. I dont generally think of the early 80's as 30 years ago but I guess it is and I guess I am getting old. lol

it is your quilt. it is your quilt. it is your quilt.

do as you please. if you want it done and machine finish is how to accomplish that, do it. if you really want an heirloom , hand pieced, hand quilted piece, then do that.

personally i would just machine finish and get it done. you will love it either way because you made it.

I want to clear out my UFO's and I'm just afraid that if I don't use the machine, I'll bury it for another 30 years.

So, or should I say no sew, I chose to try and download and figure out my new camera my husband got me for Xmas and try to see if I could figure out how to post a picture. We shall see, or not.

center
    Name:  Attachment-179659.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  40.4 KB

top and center
    Name:  Attachment-179660.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  40.8 KB

sides
    Name:  Attachment-179661.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  21.0 KB

I think I need to practice taking pictures

Quote Originally Posted by WANNABEE
    In the early 80's I took an adult ed class and started a hand pieced, hand quilted, white-on-white, some type of QAYG. Of course I don't have the directions. The quilt is nine sections and of course the bottom right hand corner remains to be sewn on the front, and the entire back needs to be sewn. My problem and the reason it remains a UFO is that the bottom left and bottom center pieces need to be ripped and resewn because they are off a 1/4 inch. I don't think I have the patience nor the inclination to hand piece it again. What if I just machine piece it? Opinions please. (Please don't ask for a picture b/c I haven't figured out how to use my new digital camera yet.)
    I too have a 30 year old UFO. I say just finish it how ever you'd like, it will be beautiful either way!

I agree this is your quilt And there is no such thing as QUILT POLICE or so I want to believe So do it your way any way you wishbecause THIS IS YOUR QUILT

Blog Entries
    Husband just reminded me that he was born in 82, then proceeded to ask me "how old are you babe?" Of course I was born in 69. Do the math. Even though I was in high school in the 80's I did not yet quilt let alone sew. So unfortunately or fortunately I don't have any UFO's that old. LOL Love the look of the quilt though cant wait to see it finished.

I think it's a lovely quilt! Whatever you decide! Please finish and post again!