Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 301 Singer

301 Singer

I am thinking of buying a 301 but I have never used a slant needle sewing machine. Is there any difference in sewing? I have a featherweight and a 90-15. If you have experience with this machine please let me know. I know that they are supposed to be great machines, I just want to know what to expect.

There are a ton of threads on the 301. If you do a search using the advanced search feature above you'll find a lot of threads to read through. I own 4 301's so that should tell you something:>

Blog Entries
    I have used a 301; Got it at a garage sale. It was my first experience with a slant needle, and it took a little getting used to. For some reason, I had a little trouble judging where the needle would hit when the needle hole was covered with fabric. This isn't a huge problem, though. I taught my stepdaughter how to sew on this machine, including button holes, and ruffles. I ended up giving her the machine because I had extras and she had none.

It's a great machine, reliable and sturdy. Actually, I sort of miss my 301 now that it's gone.
    jlm5419-an Okie in California
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

I do prefer my Singer 15 over my 301's everytime. However, I do like my 301's very much!

I own 3 I love them.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I found that the slant needle on the 301 gives me much greater needle visibility. I have a FW, and it seems that the tension assembly is right in my line of vision for the needle unless I put a phone book under the machine. I am a tall person, and maybe that is the problem, but the 301 is perfect for me. The seam width guide built into the needle plate is a nice feature too.

Dayle

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 301! I did not have any "getting used" to the slant needle.
    I like my 301 better than my newer computerized Viking and my featherweight, personally.
    Just my 2 cents worth...

They are great machines, I have never had any problems sewing on them at all.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I have many slants including an almost brand new 301. My sentimental favorite of all my machines is my 401 and I like sewing with it.

But my favorite quilting machine is my 15-91, followed closely by three vintage Kenmores - all vertical needle machines. I do anything heavy on these machines because the slant-needle machines are more prone to needle deflection/breakage than the machines on which the piercing is happening straight up and down.

I do some piecing on my 301, but not usually free-motion quilting because of the deflection issue.

I just came home from a retreat half way across the country. I took my 301. I love it for piecing. I also have a FW and several modern machines. I have no problem switching between them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast