Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 3d forming quilts???

Blog Entries

3d forming quilts???

A while back Sewing with Nancy had a guest who made some very realistic leaves (they were huge!), where the edges of the leaves curled up, etc.

I cannot find the show notes, but I think she used a special stabilizer to get them to form into the shape she wanted. I have found INNSPIRE, and think that may be what she used. But it is crazy expensive! One sheet 20X36 at Keepsake Quilting costs $20!

I want to do a wall hanging where I would need several sheets of INNSPIRE - that is too much!

What other way could I make my leaves (normal size), appear to be floating down my quilt? I want to make hundreds of leaves, and they will have writing on them (not sure what kind of pen I will be using).

Any suggestions? Do you think a starch would work? Or should I decopauge it?
    Mom to 1, Gma to 6, Quilting since 2004, Guild member since Jan 2009.
    http://www.onecouchquilts.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/grammatjr/boards/

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea but am going to watch this thread as I would like to know a cheaper way also. That is way too expensive!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I really dont have an answer for you since Im a newbie but I do know that I have made the mistake of using too much starch on things and they have come out like carboard. Im not fimiliar with the video that your talking about but I imagine that cornstarch or refulat starch would work. Try it out on a practice piece and see.

I do Joan Shay Petal Play----You can form and reform the items you make. She uses 2 pieces of fabric with heat and bond between the heavy duty one. I would check her site.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

you could use wash out stabilizer, don't rinse a whole bunch then form them how you want them then let them dry.Once dry attach to body of quilt