Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 58-60" wide

58-60" wide

Lets say I want to make a bed top cover the width is around 58". The material you get is not 58". Now I know I can add borders and stuff to the edges to make it 58", but what do I do for the back? The back has to be larger, and I do not see anyone adding to it, or maybe I am missing that?

If you can't get wide backing, you have to seam.

Quote Originally Posted by zipit View Post
    If you can't get wide backing, you have to seam.
    I was hoping that would not be the answer. Ok, so it is the anwer. I suppose I can work the "seam" into the quilting process. I am so new at this stuff

I've purchased 108" wide fabric from fabric.com. Worked great.
    No doubt there's other places selling 108" wide fabric.

The backs you have seen are probably all one color so you can't see the seams or they used the wide backing which comes in widths up to 108"

Some quilt stores sell backing in patterned fabric. One of our locals sells 108 that way. More expensive, of course.

Blog Entries
    Pieced backing can be as beautiful as the front I like to use fabrics from the front to accent the backing. Katie's graduation quilt 2011 This is a link to one I did for DGD. Maybe you can get some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by salden View Post
    Lets say I want to make a bed top cover the width is around 58". The material you get is not 58". Now I know I can add borders and stuff to the edges to make it 58", but what do I do for the back? The back has to be larger, and I do not see anyone adding to it, or maybe I am missing that?
    If you can't find backing to suit you needs, seam the backing. Sew extra straight and extra carefully and press well---------------it's will be hard to see your seam and will look great.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

[QUOTE=salden;5742900]I was hoping that would not be the answer. Ok, so it is the anwer. I suppose I can work the "seam" into the quilting process. I am so new at this stuff[/QUOTEC]

Is there a reason you're opposed to a seam? When you quilt, it should make no difference. Treat the back as one piece of fabric, in spite of the seam.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

[QUOTE=GrannieAnnie;5742960]
    Quote Originally Posted by salden View Post
    I was hoping that would not be the answer. Ok, so it is the anwer. I suppose I can work the "seam" into the quilting process. I am so new at this stuff[/QUOTEC]

Is there a reason you're opposed to a seam? When you quilt, it should make no difference. Treat the back as one piece of fabric, in spite of the seam.
    Not opposed, just not sure if that is what I should do, or was I missing something. I want to be sure I do it right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast