Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
6 month deadline!!! >

6 month deadline!!!

6 month deadline!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 01:56 AM

Default 6 month deadline!!!

My sister told me today that she's expecting baby #2!!! Then put in a request with an obvious time limit.

I've got to make a quilt for the new baby, and one for her little boy, so that he won't feel so left out when the new baby arrives. She would also like some little crochet jackets, a knitted blanket, a knitted onesie, a quilted onesie/sleep suit...!

There are currently 12 tabs open on my intenet brower, and every colour that could be used for a baby's quilt is on my kitchen table!

She is going to find out the sex, so that will make my colour choices easier - rather than just your neutral purple, green and yellow! She finds out in March, so that leaves me with only 5 months - so I'll have to make sure I have some patterns ready on hand to begin the evening she finds out!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:12 AM

Oh my! That's alot of sewing/knitting/crocheting! At least you could start on the one for the little boy while waiting to find out gender of baby #2. If you have neutral yarn on hand, I think I'd start with the blankets/onsies as well while waiting.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:39 AM

She manipulates you, doesn't she? What a list of demands! Make one quilt for the new baby. Kids need to learn that they are not always the center of attention. Unless you really want to fill her list of "wants". Yawn.

sandy
Old 01-19-2015, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
She manipulates you, doesn't she? What a list of demands! Make one quilt for the new baby. Kids need to learn that they are not always the center of attention. Unless you really want to fill her list of "wants". Yawn.

sandy
I am with Sandygirl - Do what you can or what you want to make. The request/list seems a bit overwhelming. Most new Moms would be ecstatic to receive just one of those items. When I do a baby quilt and there is an older sibling, while I agree that the older child needs to learn it is not always about them, I always include a book for the older child.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:06 AM

I have the same kind of problem. My son got engaged in Nov but they don't plan to get married until 2016. My neice got engaged at Christmas but we just found out yesterday that she is getting married THISDecember.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

There are several new babies coming in my family this year. Of course all the moms expects a baby quilt. I like making baby quilts so no problem. I have several on hand just needs the boy or girl binding colors. I don't ask for color choices or preference. I make the Bonnie Hunter type baby quilts. They aren't paying me to make them so I don't pay attention to demands. I make the Bonnie Hunter type baby quilts.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 AM

I make what I want to make and explain that it is a "tummy time" quilt so it doesn't have to match nursery decor. One group prefers a panel with minimal borders - so I oblige.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 AM

The good thing is you have some time. Not a lot but some. If you plan to make the sibling a quilt you could go ahead and start that. IMHO I would not do an intricate pattern but something quick and simple. Also you may want to suggest that she ask others to do some of the other things or you would be happy to teach her. Good luck. I know you feel caught between a rock and a hard place.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:37 AM

I have to agree with Sandygirl, make a quilt OR something for the new baby but don't feel that you have to make EVERYTHING your sister wants.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:38 AM

goodness you are going to be busy with the list of things she asked for from you.

What a nice complement that she knows you do beautiful work.