Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
aaargh!  Bird's nest on back!! >

aaargh! Bird's nest on back!!

aaargh! Bird's nest on back!!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:19 AM

I had always only removed my throat plate and cleaned all the lint and stuff out of that area, bobbin area, etc. I wasn't aware I could get UNDER that area until I bought this book.

My hubby and I have since cleaned three other machines we own and got them running...only one needed a part to get it going and the part was only $4.95!

So most of them just needed a good going over with a toothbrush, Q-tip, and a piece of flannel!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 AM

What a GEM, you are for sharing info and even, giving us a picture. Thanks......
Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 AM

Becky..... I just hate to see somebody wasting $50 + on something they can do themselves.....this way you can spend the money on fabric!!! LOL
Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 AM

Please make sure your have the RIGHT SIZE bobbin. My bobbin was just a mm off and it that caused my machine to do the bird's nest. I know how this sets one back. Very aggravating isn't it? :D
Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 AM

I have been there done that. It was definitely a build up of lint and thread down in the bobbin case. It was just enough to cause the bobbin to not lay flat and caused the thread to get off par. Hope you get it figured out soon!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:19 AM

Where can we find this book? Is it availablre on Amazon? Sounds like something I could use.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 AM

First, Country Quilter, I want to buy that book, too! Do you have the title?

Thanks to all y'all for your ideas and help.

I have not gotten back to my quilting studio ... aka basement ... but will report back once I have tried out y'all's ideas.

yarnball
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 AM

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=5708&cat_id=174
www.Clotilde.com - Sewing Machine Repair As A Home Business

Here is where I got the book.....We got the first one as we thought maybe we might go into business part time... IF we feel confident enuf after repairing all of mine! LOL

but for just general maintenance the second one would have everything in it that mine does without the "going into business" part.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 AM

All good tips!

I did check with my Bernina dealer when I got my 155 and asked why they were so "inaccessable" for cleaning and is it alright for me to remove some screws to clean. They told it it would void my warrantee! I asked how they would know, and they said something about the computer tells them. It can even tell them how many stitches my machine has made!

My old 830 I could take it down to the skeleton practically. I could clean it, oil all the essential parts and put it back together. This was a major change with the upgrade. So be careful about taking a machine apart.

M
Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 AM

I agree with Country quilter. I used to work at a shop that ad a repairmen come in once every other week. It was my job to check all machines before he came in. Heres' what I did (at least half the machines coming in for repair just needed one of these thing) Change the needle even if it's new (they bend easily especially with the knots of tread), try a diff. bobbin making sure you wound it correctly and have it in bobbin case correctly. Rethread the machine. Clean underneath as already said, also clean inside of te bobbin case it may have a lint build-up. good luck marie