Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about Bernina machines >

? about Bernina machines

? about Bernina machines

Old 11-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Default ? about Bernina machines

I have the opportunity to get a Bernina machine from someone and not sure if the price is right and what should I worry about as what comes with the machines or what software works with them. I think I have way too many questions and don't know where to start but major concerns are I know the two machines are old so how does the embroidery work? dongle, cd? is there an older version and newer one?
I know there is something called BSR for Bernina machine so do these two machines come with one or can be used with it?
Last and most important since these are older machine what is a fair price for them?
The two models are A200 and 180E

Thanks for any feedback
Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Try checking eBay "completed listings" to see what these models have sold for on eBay. (Only green prices indicate actual sales; red prices are asking prices for machines that didn't sell at that price.) Some of the descriptions on eBay will likely give you additional information about each model too.

You can also check http://www.patternreview.com under "sergers/sm". You have to create an ID to view all of the older reviews; well worth doing. You will need to enter Bernina under sergers/sm and then look through all of the Bernina listings for the models you are interested in to find the individual reviews.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 AM

If the Berninas are close in price, I would definitely recommend the 200. The 200 is newer and can be updated to a 730 so I would check to see if it has this update. If so, it would be able to use the BSR, otherwise neither one of them would be. With the 200, Bernina changed the embroidery system. 160, 170, 180 use the older system. The 200 used the same modual and hoops used on the later models. The embroidery is built in so you can use it stand alone, if it has the Bernina software, you do need a dongle for it to operate on your computer. Also, the current version of the software is 7, versions older than 5 are no longer supported and won't run on newer operating systems (beyond Windows XP). If it has the update, it can take a USB stick, otherwise it takes Bernina specific cards, but you can use a box to put designs onto a blank card to transfer to the machine.

If the seller has everything for embroidery for the 180, it may work just fine for you but just the learning curve could be frustrating since it won't take most of the newer accessories they have come out with since.

Look at the back of the machine and check the serial number. The first digit of the serial number indicates the decade it was build, starting with 1= 70s, 2=80s, 3=90s, 4=00s, 5=0x. The second number of the serial number indicates the year within the decade, so 45xxxxxxx would = 2005. Remember that these are "Sewing Computers" that have computer boards, Also, I think the 200 and 730 are both windows-based software inside. It would be important that either machine you would choose would have had regular service at the Bernina dealer so ask when it was last serviced.

I would also check out used prices on ebay - will give you an idea of market value. I won't guess since I have not been watching used prices. If you belong to Yahoo, you can join the "sewitsforsale" group, where a lot of people sell machines and sewing-related items, and search ads for recent Bernina listings. I will add that I have a Bernina 440 with embroidery that I bought used in 2006 and still love today.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM

The 180 E was at one time the top of the line. If I am remembering correctly it took a special type of card in order to get the embroidery onto the machine, most embroidery companies no longer use this. I believe (check with seller) that they also had some sort of free software (think maybe ArtLink) where you could put designs from a CD to your computer and then send to your sewing machine. BSR does not work on this machine

Next top of the line was Artista 200, if that is what the A200 is. I believe that the BSR only works on this machine if it was upgraded ($1,000 upgrade at the time). If I am remembering correctly I believe that this machine takes designs from a stick or through software.

I have in the past had both machines and loved them both, I currently have a 730 (top of the line after the 200) which I have thought about selling to get the 750 (big difference is the new 710, 750, 780 which have the "even feed" feature) but haven't decided yet. I know that personally if I did sell mine I was hoping to get $2,800, with that in mind I don't think I would pay more than $1,800 (if it was converted and has a BSR) for the 200 and probably about $800 for the 180 since it is much older and doesn't have some of the things the 200 has. Also ask about feet as Bernina feet can get quite expensive - I believe the BSR foot is about $800 and the walking foot $150, most of the normal feet are probably in the $40 range.

If either comes with software - check out what kind. I know that for a while ArtLink and aother that I can't remember the name of were free software. The actual sofware is either Designer or Editor I believe and I believe that all have a dongle which you want to treat like gold because there are no free replacements! Also find out what version, I believe the latest is V7 which came out recently

Don't know if that helps any - I hope so.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:58 AM

Sorry - apparently I was slow in typing. Response from Skyangel was being done at the same time, she brought up some great points. One other thing just in case anyone mentions a warranty - Bernina's (and I believe most other brands) are for original puchaser only - they do not transfer.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Both of these machines were great. If they are still in good working condition, I would say either would make you a nice one to sew on. I still have my 180E and it does beautiful embroidery. You can still buy the embroidery cards on ebay to fit them. I love my machine. You can also buy the Bernina software and use any embroidery cd.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Wow thank you so much ladies for great feedback. I am in contact with the seller to get answers about all what has been mentioned here and will post an update soon.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 PM

The responses so far have been "right on." The only thing I'd like to add is that you should do an honest assessment of what you need from a sewing machine before you choose one. You may find, as I did, that you can get a really good price on a machine that fits your needs but isn't selling well to others. I'd have never bought a Bernina had the 635 been a hit. While its sales were a huge disappointment to Bernina and its vendors, it met my needs, and I got a darned good deal. While I'm now Bernina-spoiled, I've never regretted my purchase.

On the other hand, NEVER purchase a sewing machine just 'cuz it's a "good deal." Know what you need and let that be your guide!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:16 AM

I had a Bernina 180 and loved it. I traded it in for a 730 earlier this year and absolutely love that. The 180 will do really nice embroidery and excellent free motion quilting. It also does very well for stitch in the ditch with a walking foot. Please keep us posted!