Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
About fabric ... >

About fabric ...

About fabric ...

Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 AM

Back when I was young we had a "Piece Goods Shop" that was a part of a chain. Oh how I miss them! I do buy from WM when I see something I want but have to travel to one of the more distant ones as mine doesn't carry fabric.

Joann's has ticked me off more times than not. Their "overprice everything so you will be sucked in with a 40% off one item and buy more" is crazy. Needed snaps (rather large ones) for a craft project. Got the card of 4 at WM for $2.59 needed more so swung into Joann's. $5.49. Even with the coupon I could only have bought one. They stayed right there on the shelf and off to another WM and cleaned them out. Oh, and they were exactly the same brand!

Last edited by bigredharley; 09-12-2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I think I'm still irked from several years ago when a local business, notorious for lousy service and poor quality, managed to get on a local news station and whined about how the "big box stores were putting them out of business".
That happened here too. Most had been in business for years and seemed to have the attitude we are the only place in town so take our service or go without.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:21 PM

I'm stuck buying online while we're stationed here. So that being said I buy tons of moda, I haven't found any moda fabric that wasn't top quality.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

I try to stay in my budget while getting the best quality that I can afford, but sometimes I give in and pay a higher price. I do the touch/feel test and if I don't like it, it doesn't come home with me. I usually head for the sale/clearance bins first . I will buy small amounts of more expensive/better quality fabric and then fill in with sale/cheaper fabric. I shop thrift stores and yard sales where the touch/feel test is very important.
I love moda fabric as well. I don't shop online as I like to touch, see the colors. I am really lucky, we have lens mills in town, as well as 2 other fabric stores in town, as well as WM but I don't buy fabric there, I find it pricey for what you get. I did shop there when they actually had bolts of fabric. There are also 3 thrift stores in town that sell fabric. I am only 20 minutes driving away from 3 mennonite run stores that sell fabric and 2 other awesome quilt shops .....I really appreciate having all these local shops and I usually take the car and make a day trip out of it and hit as many as I can...great way to relax!

Last edited by stablemom; 09-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
As long as I like the fabric and can get it at a price I like, I will purchase it. It doesn't have to be a big name brand. Our GGGGRANDMOTHERS used flour and grain sacks and created some of the most beautiful quilts and clothing for their families. I can tell you I've purchased material from the big names and they was no better than the others. do it your way. I do it my way. I don't buy every template either. often make my own.
I also make my own templates. My family knows not to throw out the cereal boxes, they are broken down and go into my stuff for when I need to make templates. I even have my daughter using them to make templates for her first quilt.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I have purchased a substantial amount of fabric at the local Wal-Mart. I check out the fabric -- does it feel nice, is it tightly woven, are there flaws in the fabric? Those are the things I look for, as well as other quality features. I have purchased one particular fabric at Wal-Mart for $5.44-$5.97 a yard, gone to JoAnn's, where the exact fabric was priced at $9.99 (or higher). Guess where I'm purchasing! I don't consider myself poverty stricken, but neither do I pay more than I have to, quality being equal.

Even George Younce, gospel base singer of the Cathedral Quartet, said "I live at Wal-Mart"! LOL

Jeanette Frantz

When our WM was getting rid of all the fabric on bolts, my husband suggested we go. He wanted to get out of the house, and he says "you can get some fabric". So off I go for my second round of buying this sale fabric.
I spent an hour in the fabric dept, mostly waiting for another quilter to get her stuff cut. Her, the employee and I had a wonderful time chatting during this time. It was awesome. I ended up buying really nice fabric ( alot!) ...spent about $100.00 but I am still working my way thru it.