Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about half square triangles >

? about half square triangles

? about half square triangles

Old 05-20-2014, 06:43 AM

Default ? about half square triangles

I am scratching my head over hand sewing a simple triangle from a square. I understand the steps but my problem is the points are always to close to the edge. Shouldn't they be 1/4" away or a little more? Mine are so close that it is impossible joining the next block without cutting off the tip. It's driving me buggy.
Maybe I should read more on the oversized triangles but I get so frustrated my brain shuts off.
Thank you for all your help and suggestions.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

The points should be 1/4 inch from the edge you are putting in the seam. I am not quite understanding what triangles you are doing. Is it Flying Geese triangles, 2 triangles sewn together to make a square or making 2 triangles pairs from a square?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 AM

I know that the general rule is to cut your squares 7/8" of an inch larger than than the desired size. I always cut mine 1" larger and trim them down. Extra work? Yes! But I never lose a point that way! For trimming down, I went to a local glass shop and had squares of plexiglass cut for the size of my blocks - 4 1/2", 5 1/2", 6 1/2", etc. couple of bucks each. I measure them before I leave the shop to make sure they are square and the right dimensions. When I get home. I draw a diagonal line on one side. I then cover that side with Invisigrip to prevent the diagonal line from being rubbed off and prevents the square from shifting on my blocks. I lay the diagonal line on the ruler on the seam of the HST. I then trim them. It keeps my seam in the center and I'm not trimming a lot off each side of my block. I also use a rotating mat. Makes easy work of it but it can be tedious, depending on how many HST are in your project. The extra work is worth it to me if it means perfect points everytime!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The points should be 1/4 inch from the edge you are putting in the seam. I am not quite understanding what triangles you are doing. Is it Flying Geese triangles, 2 triangles sewn together to make a square or making 2 triangles pairs from a square?
I am making 2 triangles from a square to make a new square.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 AM

I just can't wrap my head around making an oversized square and cutting it down. Wouldn't I cut the points off ?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 AM

You're probably trying to over-think them. I know I tend to do that. After you've sewn your triangles together and pressed them open, sew them to the next piece. Is this where you are losing your point? It's OK. The next seam will meet the seam you just sewed and a new perfect (or nearly) point will be formed.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 AM

it on paper first. Then you will be able to 'wrap your head around it' better. It might even help if you use 2 different colored papers for this.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
You're probably trying to over-think them. I know I tend to do that. After you've sewn your triangles together and pressed them open, sew them to the next piece. Is this where you are losing your point? It's OK. The next seam will meet the seam you just sewed and a new perfect (or nearly) point will be formed.
Yes...this is where I'm losing the point. Thank you...I know I'm over thinking it as I go to sleep trying to figure it out...roflmbo
Old 05-20-2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
it on paper first. Then you will be able to 'wrap your head around it' better. It might even help if you use 2 different colored papers for this.
Great idea...and you know it's something I would not have thought of. Something so simple but yet I wouldn't have come up with the idea. Thank you very much.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

If you are making half square triangles (HST), then the seam goes right to the corner. When you trim them down, you put the 45 degree line of your ruler right on the seam, so you preserve the point.
Here is one of many you tube videos that shows making HSTs a bit larger, then trimming;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQq-5p8RCS8