Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?? about t-shirt quilt for raffle >

?? about t-shirt quilt for raffle

?? about t-shirt quilt for raffle

Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I used to make a T-Shirt quilt every year for my local HOG (Harley Owners Group) chapter as a fund raiser. I donated my time and the members donated the T-Shirts. I did take reimbursement for the cost of materials (fusible interfacing, batting and sashing and backing fabric). I tied the quilts with embroidery floss and used fat bat and they came out great. We always had a very successful fund raiser but we made sure to have the quilt completed early spring at the beginning of riding season and raffled tickets off for a good 6 to 9 months. We regularly raised $700 after paying for the raw materials which usually ran around $100 to $150. The key as Prism and Sandygirl pointed out is to have ample time and manpower to sell enough tickets. So don't discount a tied quilt as an alternative to LA. You could even gather up several volunteers for the organization and have a couple of "tie the knots in the quilt" party.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:46 AM

to me the profits would going to the charity. Its no different then taking the money out to pay for the cost of printing or buying the tickets that are being used to raffle it off with. I am a LAer and have been approached by many to do a charity quilt but at some point you have to draw the line. its still a business. I'll do it at a reduced rate for them but I would never make any money if I did them all for free.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 AM

I think it makes a difference whether or not they asked you to make a quilt, or if you decided to donate a quilt yourself. If they asked you to make a quilt, then I'd discuss the costs involved in making a quilt with them first. If I ask them if they wanted me to donate a quilt, then I'd pay for it myself. Yearly, I donate things for a fund raiser for a cancer foundation, but I choose what I want to donate and consider what I make to donate as my contribution to them instead of giving case. I make quilted jackets with a breast cancer theme that I sell for $90, but give to them for their auction.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 PM
yel

just another note .......i don't like to quilt t-shirt quilts that i have not put together myself....