Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about using Sulky 40 wt rayon thread for quilting with home machine >

? about using Sulky 40 wt rayon thread for quilting with home machine

? about using Sulky 40 wt rayon thread for quilting with home machine

Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 AM

Default ? about using Sulky 40 wt rayon thread for quilting with home machine

Will using 40 wt rayon thread make a strong quilting stitch that won't pull out? Can I use a 50 wt poly and/or poly-cotton thread in the bobbin? I like the shiny look of the rayon thread for the table runners I'm making. I'm quilting with my Janome 6600 (probably straight stitching or slight curves). Thanks for sharing your comments and experience.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 AM

http://www.superiorthreads.com/media...guide-home.pdf

While this link is not about Sulky threads, it may be a good reference for you.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I have used Rayon thread on a couple of table runners because it was just so darn pretty. Rayon is generally more fragile and I would not use it on a quilt. There are new rayon threads that are supposed to be stronger but I have no experience with them.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the reference, Carolyn. I see many of the threads on the pdf thread chart are trilobal polyesters. I'll look at Joann's selection when I shop and see what they carry. Tartan, I was afraid the rayon wouldn't be as strong but could be OK for a table runner. I know a lot of thread is made for machine embroidery but wasn't sure if that was the primary use for rayon.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:15 PM

I just checked my sulky weekend quilting book. I have a lot of sulky 40 wt.too, that I use for embroidery.And three of the sulky books.I have never used the 40 wt. for quilting. Haven't made that many quilts yet.And always used cotton.This is what the book reads, because of sulky's silky finish and legendary quality it will smoothly glide through a quilt top,batting and backing when stitched by hand or machine.Sulky rayon does not fray, and fuzz or shrink. Color fast, but NOT with chlorine or Optical brighteners. If you go to the sulky site,you might be able to find a chart. I just thought I'd pass this on since I had the book. I have used it in embroidery,on table linen mats,toaster covers,things like that.I would use it for a runner too.For a quilt,I'd have to think about that.Just so many nice threads out there.