Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ? about using walking foot for the first time!

Blog Entries
    I am going to be brave and attempt to use my walking foot finally. Thought I would make placemats. How do you secure the stitches when you start and stop? Do you backstitch? TIA

Pam
    I do not backstitch, but if you think it would make it stronger, go ahead. If you are using a binding, there is really no need to backstitch. If you are turning them, and them quilting, you better.

Blog Entries
    Be sure and read the instructions some you CAN NOT back stitch with. Don't want to break it the first time you use it :wink: Some machines you can set the machine down to 0 for stitches so it does a couple in place .

Blog Entries
    I use 3 tiny stitches to lock -- not quite on top of each other, but very close together. It's often not a good idea to try to backstitch with a walking foot.

I couldn't backstitch with my walking foot. My Pfaff had IDT which is like a built in walking foot and I can backstitch with that.

You don't need to backstitch because your binding will secure the stitches when you sew that on.

Blog Entries
    I either start within the seam line for the binding, or use 3-4 little tiny stitches. I try to avoid backstitching, as it shows on the back of the quilted item. :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I press the "needle up/needle down" button several times for tiny stitches. It's such a pain to press from 3.0 stitch length to 0 and back up again! Also, I can backstitch using the WF on my Brother machine, thank godness!

Blog Entries
    I am going to attempt grid quilting. Maybe doing the binding with the WF if the quilting goes okay. I have a Brother so maybe I can backstitch? I think I will just use the "needle up needle down" feature. That sounds easier. Thanks everyone!!

I you start in a spot that doesn't go to the edge of your quilt, you need to secure the stitches-backstitch, lock stitch, etc..and don't sew fast. The wlking foot does't go very fast, just be patient. You will have a great time! NEXt-Free Motion!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast