Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt or sizzix? >

Accuquilt or sizzix?

Accuquilt or sizzix?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 AM

I would consider a Fiskars Fuse. The price is right down there now at Joann's. I think I've seen it as low as $79.99.

It's a fabulous, versatile, well-made machine. With shims, it takes just about any die. I don't usually use their shims, I use the big shot shims. The Fuse dies are worthless; don't waste your money on those. I don't use any of the Fuse things except for the machine itself. Love, love, love!
Old 11-05-2014, 01:16 PM

I would check out the Silhouette Cameo.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:59 PM

I own a Cameo. I also paper craft and do a few of my own designs. I would not use the Cameo if I needed 100 4" blocks or HSTs. The Sizzix, Accuquilt and Fiskars are far better for that purpose. You can put at least 6 layers of fabric on the die and cut it. The large models do more, some are powered. I've read that Go is bringing out a smaller powered model.

I started with the Sizzix for paper crafting, got rid of most of the stuff except the original Big Kick and embossing dies. So buying Sizzix dies was a no brainer since I had the machine.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 11-05-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:26 PM

I have the GO and love it. I find it very easy to use. There is also huge selection of dies and while some are expensive, I find most are reasonable priced when compared to like machines by other companies. It's worth the cost to be able to cut out a king size quilt in a few hours rather than taking days. Check out the ACCUQUILT die selection and price on-line. I think you will like what you see.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:40 PM

I have go baby and a sizzix smaller one. I would go for the big shot sizzix as dies from go fit.

Have you thought about the brother electric model I have heard it is very good and comes with about 300shapes too cut. Therefore don't need to keep buying more dies.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 AM

The biggest problem with the electric cutters is still how to get the most cuts. For instance, the Cameo only does 12 inches wide, but I can do 10 feet long. Most usually cut one layer at a time, so I might be able to lay out 3 4 inch squares on the width, and I'd need to count 4 4 inch squares in length. That's 16 inches. Now to figure out how to move and how much length of fabric I'd need. One the 12x12 mat, I'd only get 12 4 inch squares. I'd have to set up for enough fabric length to get 100 squares.

I've cut some complicated paper stuff on the Cameo, and it seems that doing a few layers at once on the die cutters is more efficient.

If you are doing a quilt with all different blocks and sizes of pieces, the electronic cutter is better. Easier to size, rather than find a die.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 11-06-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nanax4 View Post
I would consider a Fiskars Fuse. The price is right down there now at Joann's. I think I've seen it as low as $79.99.

It's a fabulous, versatile, well-made machine. With shims, it takes just about any die. I don't usually use their shims, I use the big shot shims. The Fuse dies are worthless; don't waste your money on those. I don't use any of the Fuse things except for the machine itself. Love, love, love!
I concur! I just bought one and it's great. I bought mine on Amazon for about $100. I've bought and tested Accuquilt dies, Sizzix dies, and of course the Fuse die it came with. All work great. It's 12-1/2 inches wide so it can handle most of the Accuquilt dies. The Sizzix shims work great; for my Accuquilt die I use the Sizzix shim plus a piece of acrylic I had laying around the house and it's *perfect*. (The acrylic is .0925 thick - buy a scrap at any hardware store)

So much cheaper than either the Go or the Big Shot - leaves me with more to spend on fabric & dies! And it folds up nice and small. It sure is heavy though - made with lots of metal, which is a good thing.