Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accuquilt Studio advice needed

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I've been mulling over, for a while, buying an Accuquilt Studio.

And I'm confused.

For starters, all I want to do is to cut 5" squares.

And there are three flavors of dies to do that: giant, super giant, and super long cut.

??

Here's a link, so you can see what they do: http://www.accuquilt.com/Squares-and...s=Name ASC&p=3

I'm aiming for: quick, easy, and not wasteful of fabric.

If I want squares with pinked edges (are those better?) then I can cut 4-at-a-time with either giant or super long.

If I want plain edges, I can cut 4, 6, or 8 at a time with super long, giant, or super giant respectively.

Can anybody help me figure out what I want or need? I'd rather get advice from folks with experience here on the forum, rather than a salesperson at Accuquilt (whose focus may be on selling rather than giving the best advice).

Thank you all in advance!

I want one too! I DO have the Go, and I love it. I can tell you that the company is AWESOME!

I have seen the vidio and i just love it but I would also like to here what the others say before I buy

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Apparently the basic machine itself is $100 off through November 7th. I don't know if that's truly special or if they always run sales.

Another question!

The 3 different sizes you talk about are more squares on the die. So, bigger die, more squares and more expensive. That's why the Super Giant is the most expensive. There would be less waste with the Super Giant, but with square dies(not an odd shape) there isn't much waste anyway. If you're looking to do this for resale, I'd go with the most squares on a die I could get which would mean with the super Giant you could get 80 squares with one crank.

As for pinked edges. That's a personal thing, I guess. I hate them. I hate the dust they make, the seam allowance tends to be harder and just the general use of them. But, that's up to you.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Apparently the basic machine itself is $100 off through November 7th. I don't know if that's truly special or if they always run sales.

Another question!
    They run specials on the Studio machine infrequently.

Hi! I have a Studio Cutter and love it! An advantage it has over the others is that it will cut up to 8 layers of fabric at a time. If you have lots of squares to cut, that is an advantage.
    As far as the type of 5" die you purchase, I think it depends on how you will be using it. The more pieces you can cut at once will be less wasteful in the long run. I don't have a pinked die, so I don't know it that would be any advantage over the others. I don't really think I would prefer it over the others - would much rather have a "plain" edge. But, that's just me.
    Also, there is a forum for those who use Accuquilt dies, however, mostly I see posts from people who have the smaller version.

Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    As a consumer, I would much rather purchase straight edges than pinked :D:D:D

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Straight edge here..

I see your questions were answered but just thought I'd comment anyway :-) I LOVE my accuquilt studio. I had a shoulder injury and damaged it worse from rotary cutting -Accuquilt saved my shoulder! I don't like pinked edges either - they leave tiny fabric dust crumbs all over.

PS... I have some rag dies for sale (cheap!) if anyone is interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast