Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AccuQuilt users & cutting scraps for scrap users system >

AccuQuilt users & cutting scraps for scrap users system

AccuQuilt users & cutting scraps for scrap users system

Old 10-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Default AccuQuilt users & cutting scraps for scrap users system

I have an AccuQuilt and several dies. I have a tote or 2 of scraps and don't know where to start.

Those of you that do a scrap users system like Bonnie Hunters
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...rs-system.html.

How do you suggest starting?

Do you measure every piece to see what die to use for the least amount of waste?

Do you just lay out for 1 size at a time/day or lay out several dies and cut when they are full?

I want to get started sorting so any and all suggestions are welcome. I know this is going to be time consuming even with the AccuQuilt.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 PM

It is definitely time consuming, but so worth it to have precut fabric when you need to make something fast. I use mostly 5" squares, 2.5" strips, and 2" squares. So I cut scraps according to what I use the most. I cut the strips and 5" squares first. The scraps that are left over get cut into 2" squares. Think about the shapes you use most often. Then cut the shapes you use the most, from large shapes to smaller ones.

I have a lot of dies, but I always cut scraps into the basic building blocks that I use for almost every project. I almost didn't start the scrap system because I was so overwhelmed by all the crazy shapes and variety of my pile of scraps. Now I am so thrilled when I get an idea or see a pattern and I already have the squares or strips cut. I can get to the project right away!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:51 PM

I used my AccuQuilt to make my strips, The dyes work with fat quarters well. I like to measure the dye and add 1/2 inch to fold the fat quarter in half. Strips left on the fold line make good strings, for string quilts. There is a little waste, but faster than cutting each one separately. Cut the selvages off, first, and it will fit better. I went all crazy and cut up a lot of my fat quarters, that I got tired of looking at into strips. I didn't buy the dyes for squares, I sub cut them from the strips later, for some blocks, I sew the strips together first, and then sub cut them. I only cut the smaller in blocks from smaller scraps.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:56 AM

The only " precuts" I have done w/GO are 2 1/2" squares for L&Es, and now hexies for my EPP.......my definition of scraps are truly trim offs, or anything less than 2", which I keep in a bin. When I want to just go n sew with no plan in mind, I do crumbs from the bin ......or I begin to put my L&Es together into blocks......any other pieces of fabric are folded like a fat quarter size and stored that way......I don't want to cut "everything" in definite shapes until I know what I'm going to do with them...then I pick out what I want to use and GO for it! It seems to work...so far.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I lay the scrap fabric on the die it will fit, anyway it will fit. It's scrap and I have already used the fabric for it's purpose. I starch and press a pile of scraps and have them ready to cut when the mood strikes. The leftover scraps from the scraps are the ones that are put in the pet bed filler bin.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:16 AM

Before you cut a lot of scraps, be sure to test for accuracy. The first time I used my Go, I just laid scraps any which way, and ended up with squares that were short on 1 side by about an eight of an inch. Be sure to read these tips.
https://www.accuquilt.com/media/refc...Tips-QQZ08.pdf
I now iron my scraps and use some starch or Best Press before cutting.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I prefer to trim a block after final pressing with starch so I just sew my scraps together. I received a bunch of leftover Charms from Robert Kaufman so they were various widths but 5" in height. I am currently piecing a quilt similar to Jim's Gem that is the quilt of the week. I am not a scrappy person so I try to make things a simple as possible.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks everybody for your replies. All good ideas and I think I need to find a rhythm and work out a system. It should go smoothly then...I hope...lol. I was doing some sorting tonight for awhile watching tv. This could take a long time...lol.