Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt VS Sizzex Can anyone give some insight? >

Accuquilt VS Sizzex Can anyone give some insight?

Accuquilt VS Sizzex Can anyone give some insight?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room
Default Accuquilt VS Sizzex Can anyone give some insight?

I am pondering buying a cutter. Can anyone give me an insight as to which is better? less expensive in the long run with all the accessories? Are they worth it? I, right now, am thinking mostly of using it for small scrapps to make scrap quilts.

Thanks in advance.
Peggy
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I'm assuming that you are looking at the GO! and the Sizzix. One thing to consider is that the sizzix dies are thicker than the GO dies, so you can use the GO! dies (with a shim) in your sizzix, but you can't use sizzix dies in the GO.
You have to decide on the value. I have a Studio and love it.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

A lot depends on (1) the space available for it, and (2) your budget. The Accuquilt Go! is very compact for storage purposes and does not need a dedicated space. The Studio is heavy so it needs to be set up in a dedicated space so you can leave it up. I believe the Sizzix Pro is similar in that it does not fold up for storage.

How expensive an individual setup is with all the accessories depends a *lot* on how many dies you purchase. The Studio is the most expensive, especially considering the cost of the dies; however, it also cuts more layers per pass (depending on the die you use) and with adapters can take the Go! dies. For cuts you use a lot, you might want to pay extra for the Studio dies that cut more pieces per die (as well as cutting more layers) as it makes cutting much faster. For dies you might want to use only occasionally, you can purchase the less expensive Go! dies and use an adaptor (which you also have to buy).

Some people like the Sizzix Pro because of the wider choices of dies -- you can use Sizzix dies (and I think they have more of the delicate applique fusible types) as well as Go! dies. I don't think you can use Studio dies in it, though.

For cutting primarily scraps, I think the Accuquilt Go! is probably the most suitable.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:05 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

Thank you both so much. I really don't want to spend too much on another new Toy. I had read that the Sizzix can use both types of dies where the Accu Go can only use the accu dies. I will have to give it some thought. Maybe I can find someone around here who has one and try it out. Again, Thank you.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:41 PM

I have a sizzix big kick that you crank and used a Go die that cuts six 2" squares at once. I used a shim (2 manilla envelopes folded) and the process was quick and easy. I noticed how much more accurate it is than when i rotary cut even carefully and properly..some are off just enough to require trimming. There are probably better systems (as in automatic, bigger/faster) but this is not something i will do often esp given there are so many pre-cuts now for the basic shapes.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:44 PM
pw6

go for the studio cutter instead, it is much larger and faster, lasts forever and you can cut out strips, squares, circles andything you want.. and they have it on sale..
Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Ms.Fab-ra-holic, I have the Accu Go, love it. I wait for Joann's big sale on dies to purchase. Not so sure I would like to mess around doing shims. Enjoy the one you choose.

Lana
Quilting Dreamer
Lansing
Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 PM

I had the Go but it was too limiting. I wanted to be able to cut 10" squares and there was no way that would ever be possible with it. So I sold it and bought a Big Shot Pro. It takes almost every die on the market. It's also easier for me to use.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 PM

I use the Studio dies in my Sizzix Big Shot Pro with no problems at all. I also have the adapter tray from Accuquilt so that I can use my GO dies in it. I am very pleased with my BSP.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:20 PM

The sizzix pro can use both. It is not potable like the go so needs a dedicated space. From those that have both say that the sizzix is more sturdy than the go. I have the small sizzix and like it. The sizzix pro to me is more comparable to the studio not the go but the machine is more expensive but cheaper than the studio you can usually find them on sale at joanns online or patsy thompsons website ocassionally but the joanns one does not include the extended quilting size accessories