Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Acrylic Fabric?? >

Acrylic Fabric??

Acrylic Fabric??

Old 04-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Default Acrylic Fabric??

I am making a custom t-shirt quilt for someone. They would like me to add an acrylic scarf fabric to the border. What do you all suggest I do? Is this fabric ok to use on a quilt?
Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

I think it won't wear the same as the rest of the fabric and get thin very quickly and ruin the quilt. go with cotton, and maybe make a pillow out of the acrylic fabric. good luck
Old 04-10-2015, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

I would write up a couple lines and stating that it's not going to wear like the rest of the quilt, and may not launder well. Make 2 copies. Then meet with your client and have them sign indicating that they understand. Keep a copy & give one to the client. It might have lots of sentimental value and they may want to keep it in. If they do want to proceed, you will probably have to use an iron on stabilizer. Make sure that you get one that will adhere at a low iron setting as acrylic will melt.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

If it was a wall quilt, it would probably be OK but not if it going to be used and laundered.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:25 PM

I'm kind of curious as to what this acrylic scarf fabric actually looks like. Years ago I worked for a cheerleading uniform manufacturer. The cheerleaders' sweaters were knit acrylic yarn, and were totally machine washable and dryable. In my opinion, they'd probably last longer than cotton because they're synthetic. So now I'm trying to wrap my head around acrylic fabric.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:00 PM

I understand that it might look different that the rest of the quilt, but it is what the client wants. Attached is what a portion of the scarf looks like.